584,800 active members*
4,344 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Additive Manufacturing / 3D Printers and 3D Scanners > 3D Printer / 3D Scanner Discussion > Using FDM for making gears. Looking for best practice for using G54-59

Using FDM for making gears. Looking for best practice for using G54-59

Hi I am looking at making 2500-5000 gears with a series of 4 bigger format 3d printers to avoid the cost of injection molds.

I want to do 20 gears at a time. I have a superstition that the gears will be stronger if I do each one from top to bottom rather than doing the whole bed slice and returning minutes later to do a new slice.

Does anyone have a method and preferred software for programming this? I have done this on my CNC Router with G54-G59 but I would need more coordinates to do 20 at a time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Hi I am also looking for a cheap printer that I can buy 5 or 10 for $1000. Something like the Anet A8 or the Crealty Ender 3. Does anyone have a suggestion about a good platform? Does anyone put and run multiple extruder heads at the same time to speed up output? Thanks, David

Re: Using FDM for making gears. Looking for best practice for using G54-59

Simplify 3D is the premier slicing software for 3D printing used by most pro FDM print shops. It offers a mode called multiple process, sequential printing which will allow you to print many layers of 1 gear, then the head moves to the next. You can optimize it to print an entire gear then move to the next. The default in this mode is self optimizing for metrics that I don't fully understand where it may print 30 layers of gear 1, then move to gear 2, then back to gear 1. You can download a free 14 day trial of the software and try it out. Overall, if you do a lot of 3D printing, the $149 price tag is well worth it. I'm just a normal guy, not affiliated with any software company, but I use this software weekly, for the past few years, and its worth the money.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/a...part-printing/

Thanks for recommendation. I thought it looked like a good software but nice to hear from someone who knows.