Login

Mach3 freezing

Hi all help needed here
    I had CNC plasma table running fine for 5 years, but suddenly stopped,
    Here's what I have
    Mach 3 running through mach3 KK01 BREAK OUT BOARD
    which is controlling two leadshine DM2282
    Stepper drivers,
    So when I connect the motors to the drivers the keyboard freezes up and up comes a computer message, problem with usb port,
    I have tried powering the breakout board from the computer usb and also from a 5volt source but no difference
    Also have rewired all the cables going to the motors

Tis a pain for sure

Re: Mach3 freezing

Is that KK01 the same sort of card that's pictured here:

https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Breakout%2...xis-with-Relay

So when I connect the motors to the drivers the keyboard
    OK, so with all the Leadshine DM2282 drivers connected to the KK01, but the all the motors disconnected at the driver end, it works OK. Connect them both and it looses USB access; which I suspect is how your keyboard and mouse are connected, right? And without a functioning keyboard and/or mouse, it appears that the whole CPU has frozen? (I'm suspicious that the CPU & Windows is running OK)

Have you tried connecting only one motor, and then the other to see if you can localize the problem?

How is the wiring going from the PC to the keyboard and mouse; and the wiring going from the PC to the breakout board, to the stepper drivers, and to the motors physically arranged?

I am suspicious of this being an EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) problem... either something broke (shielding wire, filter of some sort, etc) or it was always marginal but now it's gone over the threshold of not-working.

Hi yep it's the same one
    I have tried one motor each
    Have tried taking earth's to almost everything possible
    Have tried taking separate power source to power the breakout board instead of using a USB cable

I also have a z axis from breakout board to a MA860H STEPPER DRIVER which is powered from a 48v power source,
    Which when it is plugged in it works fine and have no freezing problems
    It seems to just be the y and X control problem

Although everything it built in the one cabinet maybe I should try separating everything apart.

Cables from drivers to motors is shielded

Quote Originally Posted by __Britt View Post
    Is that KK01 the same sort of card that's pictured here:

https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Breakout%2...xis-with-Relay

OK, so with all the Leadshine DM2282 drivers connected to the KK01, but the all the motors disconnected at the driver end, it works OK. Connect them both and it looses USB access; which I suspect is how your keyboard and mouse are connected, right? And without a functioning keyboard and/or mouse, it appears that the whole CPU has frozen? (I'm suspicious that the CPU & Windows is running OK)

Have you tried connecting only one motor, and then the other to see if you can localize the problem?

How is the wiring going from the PC to the keyboard and mouse; and the wiring going from the PC to the breakout board, to the stepper drivers, and to the motors physically arranged?

I am suspicious of this being an EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference) problem... either something broke (shielding wire, filter of some sort, etc) or it was always marginal but now it's gone over the threshold of not-working.

Although everything it built in the one cabinet maybe I should try separating everything apart.
    In order to locate the problem, yes... but you should move one thing at a time, and keep testing while you are doing so.

I'm pretty sure that what's going on is that the chopping frequency of the stepper drivers is getting radiated (either directly thru the air, or thru the wiring) and picked up by the PC's motherboard (either directly, or thru something attached to it, or feeding it like the PC power supply).

A troubleshooting step you might try is to disconnect the Leadshine drivers from the breakout board; and only have them wired into the mains power and to the motors. If it still locks up; then get an extension cord for the mains power, and power the stepper drivers off of a different mains circuit.

Also, you might try electrically separating the motors from the frame of the machine (i.e, set them on a block of wood or plastic).

The point of all this is to nail down where the interference is coming from - conducted thru the mains; conducted thru the step/direction wiring; conducted thru the frame of the machine; radiated thru the air from the wires going between the stepper motor and the driver; or radiated from the driver's mains supply wiring.

Once that's figured out; a fix can be devised.

On the other end, you might try unplugging items from the PC to see if that warning about the USB port goes away... this would clue us in as to where the interference is being picked up. I'd start with the mouse, and then the keyboard, followed by anything else you have hooked up (hubs? card readers?).

Ok thankyou for all the info and help
    I will try that tomorrow,

One thing I can not get me head around is
    I seem to be getting inaround 20v DC coming from the shield on the cable coming from the drivers to the motors

All cables are new and shields are taped up on both ends
    Am testing it from the shield to the cabinet wall

But I'll try tomorrow and test to see if the cabinet itself has a small voltage on it

Saturday Evening,, should be in the pub!!!

In order to locate the problem, yes... but you should move one thing at a time, and keep testing while you are doing so.

I'm pretty sure that what's going on is that the chopping frequency of the stepper drivers is getting radiated (either directly thru the air, or thru the wiring) and picked up by the PC's motherboard (either directly, or thru something attached to it, or feeding it like the PC power supply).

A troubleshooting step you might try is to disconnect the Leadshine drivers from the breakout board; and only have them wired into the mains power and to the motors. If it still locks up; then get an extension cord for the mains power, and power the stepper drivers off of a different mains circuit.

Also, you might try electrically separating the motors from the frame of the machine (i.e, set them on a block of wood or plastic).

The point of all this is to nail down where the interference is coming from - conducted thru the mains; conducted thru the step/direction wiring; conducted thru the frame of the machine; radiated thru the air from the wires going between the stepper motor and the driver; or radiated from the driver's mains supply wiring.

Once that's figured out; a fix can be devised.

On the other end, you might try unplugging items from the PC to see if that warning about the USB port goes away... this would clue us in as to where the interference is being picked up. I'd start with the mouse, and then the keyboard, followed by anything else you have hooked up (hubs? card readers?).

Ok here we go again,,
    Eventually got it to run,
    I separated every thing apart in the control cabinet
    Was still getting about 20volt power on the shields which is taped up on each end of the motor cables
    So I placed the two drivers on cardboard so they weren't attached to any part of the cabinet, that cured the voltage problem in the shielding,
    Took out all the limit switches cabling off the table and cabinet,
    So got both X and y axis motors to run with no problems on computer,
    Only thing the z axis driver then started to show up a red led fault when I hit reset on Mach 3, so disconnected the z axis for now
    Run the table this morning and it cut solid for about 4 hours,
    When it then started to just cut a leadin and about 1" of a cut, then all stops, but it does not freeze anything up,
    Just stops motion and plasma,
    So I run a couple of manual straight line cuts and the plasma stays going ok manually

So I will put a new earth spike in ground outside shed tomorrow and that will prove any earth problem

One problem I do see is the driver boxes or covers seem to have a small voltage on them, I presume they Should not
    If I connect them to an earth it probably will solve that,
    But should they have any voltage on them

Quote Originally Posted by Dem1 View Post
    Ok thankyou for all the info and help
    I will try that tomorrow,

One thing I can not get me head around is
    I seem to be getting inaround 20v DC coming from the shield on the cable coming from the drivers to the motors

All cables are new and shields are taped up on both ends
    Am testing it from the shield to the cabinet wall

But I'll try tomorrow and test to see if the cabinet itself has a small voltage on it

Saturday Evening,, should be in the pub!!!

That 20v concerns me... I am thinking it needs to be identified. Is something wrong with a power supply? Is there a component leaking voltage somewhere? Is it just capacitive coupling causing a voltage reading; without any current supplying capability?

How, exactly, are you measuring it? One probe on the shield, the other... to the electrical box's frame? Or to the mains ground input to the machine? Or something else entirely?

Hmm...

I have tried testing it from the mains earth
    And get 0 volts
    But testing it from the table or cabinet
    It reads 20
    As I take probe off or away from the shield the reading could jump up to 90v for a second,
    Sorry am not highly into understanding a meter
    Maybe it the normal

That 20v concerns me... I am thinking it needs to be identified. Is something wrong with a power supply? Is there a component leaking voltage somewhere? Is it just capacitive coupling causing a voltage reading; without any current supplying capability?

How, exactly, are you measuring it? One probe on the shield, the other... to the electrical box's frame? Or to the mains ground input to the machine? Or something else entirely?

Hmm...

Hi have all sorted now
    Could not find the problem so just bought 2 new CWD 872 drivers and a new
    HG 08 breakout board,
    Along with new cabling on table and replaced computer leads
    All seems to run good now again,
    It worked out cheaper in the long run than spending hours troubleshooting and downtime on getting stuff cut

Quote Originally Posted by Dem1 View Post
    I have tried testing it from the mains earth
    And get 0 volts
    But testing it from the table or cabinet
    It reads 20
    As I take probe off or away from the shield the reading could jump up to 90v for a second,
    Sorry am not highly into understanding a meter
    Maybe it the normal