585,906 active members*
3,597 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Are these guys real doctors?

My son is currently looking for a decent place in Vancouver to pursue a career in orthopedics. He has an interest in sports as well so I think it might just might be something up his alley. What I don't understand is his friend is about to drop out and pursue becoming a chiropractor. Is that even a considered a real doctor? Or is it more of those "herbal" doctors where you don't really need a formal education to get one. Thx!

Re: Are these guys real doctors?

The definition and what truly dictate or constitute "real" can vary greatly on the planet I live on (called, Earth). Not sure about yours ;-)
    You can find information related to your son's friend goal here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropractic
    As for the 'real' or not part, see the Education, licensing, and regulation section where academics/accreditation is defined

G'luck to both of you

I think they fall under therapist and not doctors
    What is stupid in BC is that a fully qualified and licensed chiropractor can be covered through msp , vs a physiotherapist where the money comes straight out of pocket , or , is covered to a limited amount under extended health insurance . A gp is has no problem sending a recovering patient to physio , but a lot of them still look at chiropractors as hacks and will not give referrals . Both are completely different professions but the physio is commonly used after surgery , sports injuries etc , and I think it should have qualified for msp before spine cracking

Um...no.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/ref.../chiropractic/
    https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/sci...c-an-oxymoron/

If you want to be a PT, then go become a PT. There's nothing wrong with that. But don't mix PT with pseudoscience and notions that are over a hundred years out of date, call yourself a "Doctor", and claim to be able to treat - or cure - all disease by pushing someone's bones around.

I think they fall under therapist and not doctors. What is stupid in BC is that a fully qualified and licensed chiropractor can be covered through msp
    Yeah that's pretty crazy. I'd rather have them bring back eye car for small business owners. It use to be like 50 or 80% off if you were a business owners (Tax exemption or something). Now it's nothing. Your teeth are barely covered as a medical expense. Or was it the other way around? Don't remember . . .

PS: Thanks for the responses guys. Appreciate the clarity.

minmindinput=output

outcome=e=me2

Thank you for sharing!

non sense....cattle cant read

Erm no.
    Chiropractors get a bit frowned upon by actual doctors over here.