584,862 active members*
5,558 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > Moving A Citizen M20 with a Box Truck?

Moving A Citizen M20 with a Box Truck?

Anyone ever moved a CNC machine with a rented box truck? Am I crazy for thinking about it?

Re: Moving A Citizen M20 with a Box Truck?

I just won a Citizen M20 swiss-type lathe with a bar feeder and need to move it from Minnesota to California. As you could imagine, given the great price I got the machine for I can't really justify paying the $6000 I was quoted to LTL it. I thought about a stake truck, but nobody seems to rent these one way. Then I started thinking about a 26 foot box truck like the Uhaul or the like. Crazy?

Re: Moving A Citizen M20 with a Box Truck?

I hauled my Shizuoka AN-S home in the back of a stake truck... the difficult part was loading it. The guy driving the forklift had the rear wheels start to come off the pavement.

On the other end we got a 21,000lb capacity off-road forklift... much less dicey.

The two things I'd be worried about with a U-haul are a) strapping it down; and b) weight concentration & capacity of the truck. A more "heavy-duty" truck from somebody like Enterprise or Penske might be a better choice than a U-haul, which are generally set up for moving bulky but lightweight items... (note that I've not actually tried to use their rental box trucks to move something like this... it's just that I've seen them around).

So... how much does the machine weigh? How are you going to crate it up, and move it to the front of the truck? Do you have a pallet jack? And are you going to exceed your driver's license's weight limits? (A class C license is 26,000 GVWR).

In any case... good luck!

Moving A Citizen M20 with a Box Truck?

Our publication freedom implies we set our own plan and voice our very own suppositions. Watchman news coverage is free from business and political inclination and not impacted by very rich person proprietors or investors.
    Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1
    Last edited by areso; 11-06-2019 at 11:48 PM.