585,763 active members*
4,506 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Urgent help needed with PM25MV

Urgent help needed with PM25MV

Hello, I recently acquired my PM25MV from matt with the intentions to convert to CNC. I began to tear down the mill, and tore down the x&y axis without many hickups. When I came to the Z axis, I realized that the Gib was wedged in very tight. The head won't move, and the gib will not budge. This is a major obstacle, and I just am not having any luck getting the gib free. If anyone has any advice, It would be much appreciated. Thank you. - Dean

Re: Urgent help needed with PM25MV

The gib should get tighter as the head rises. Put something between the base and the gib strip, maybe a screw driver, then push the head carriage down. Maybe tap on it with a rubber mallet or hammer with a wood block. You might want to to add something so the carriage can't fall too far. This should dislodge the gib strip and free the carriage.

Quote Originally Posted by DeilyCa View Post
    Hello, I recently acquired my PM25MV from matt with the intentions to convert to CNC. I began to tear down the mill, and tore down the x&y axis without many hickups. When I came to the Z axis, I realized that the Gib was wedged in very tight. The head won't move, and the gib will not budge. This is a major obstacle, and I just am not having any luck getting the gib free. If anyone has any advice, It would be much appreciated. Thank you. - Dean

Had similar with a brand new one. It turned out it was the little brass lugs that are behind the gib lock levers causing it. They were caked in transport grease which glued itself to the gib. I relased the levers and the top adjuster screw then gave it a knock from the bottom. It dislodged easily afterwards.

Luckily I managed to dislodge the gib. After many hours of cussing and questioning my decisions, I tapped it out with a flathead and a hammer. The entire mill was caked in transport grease. Had to scrape the damn table with a putty knife, + half a bottle of wd40. Thinks are working themselves out though. The mill is apart, and ready to accept its new parts. Thank you for your help.