585,705 active members*
3,785 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Reaming Ti ?

Reaming Ti ?

Need to hold .6250/.6255 diameter in Ti. Single point?, Reamer w/floating head?, Circular interp? Length is only about .375 but I would like to hit it right the first time (dreaming). I would be afraid a boring bar might push. But a reamer would be symetrically loaded. Would binding be an issue?

Thoughts? Carbide grade? speeds & feeds? Finish DOC?

Reaming Ti

I need to know what type of titanium you are machining. Also what equipment you have available. The configuration of the part. The thickness of the part. How many holes etc. B4 I can give you any relevant feedback.

6Al 4V. Going to try it on a fadal 4020. Floating head. Hole depth is about .375 deep as stated, rigidity is not an issue, or coolant flow. I am going to manually program this cut instead of just a G85. I want to pull out a bit more rapidly than the feed rate in, but not to rapid out. Two different
    feed rates. The part will ultimately resemble a pillow block, but the hole is the deal breaker so I will be doing it first. Need to ream about 20 holes.

Thanks

Ream or Bore?

Is this hole drilled or cored? What is the starting size?

i would use carbide. tipped is usually fine . i think hss or cobalt will try to bind on you . i always turn reamers very slowly. it seems to keep the hole smaller.
    i like to stay below 100 rpm and feed about 3 ipm. depending on the size. i would push larger reamers a little faster.

you d be far better of boring it if you ve got decent boring equipment , if you don t have a good enough bar, you can easily make a solid carb bar out of an long series carb em ,
    if the bar is good and sharp you should have no problems
    if a reamer breaks inside the hole ,which it very well may ,that parts going to be scraped