585,667 active members*
3,925 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Awesome TTS tool rack for Tormach enclosure by Santa Cruz Electronics!

Awesome TTS tool rack for Tormach enclosure by Santa Cruz Electronics!

Hey CNCZone,

I finally got an enclosure for my PCNC 1100 this year and was noticing how many TTS tool holders I have and how much space they take up on my work benches. Earlier this year I starting using pegboards in my shop and wanted to apply a similar theme to holding and organizing my TTS holders; on a rack on the enclosure, within sight and easy access. I started looking around to see if there were any good options and for a while I couldn't find anything I liked. I even went down the road of designing my own TTS rack to fit my enclosure but luckily I got really busy and put the build off. Just before I was about to start building I did one last search and luckily found the TTS rack that Santa Cruz Electronics (SCE) makes and sells. It was actually a review from Bob Warfield (CNC cookbook) where I found out about and so far I'm really excited to get this product and try it out.

I managed to speak to the owner at SCE and inquired if the shelves could be laser engraved. The reason is that I felt the only option lacking on the rack that SCE sells is to have numbers on each hole so that you can index your tools properly. It turns out SCE has their own laser and they were able to do this for me. Check out the results! I can't wait to get this rack and try it out! If there is enough interest SCE might start offering this as potentially a feature.

Just thought I would share since I think others might find this to be a really good accessory for their Tormach. I'm really surprised Tormach themselves hasn't started to carry the racks SCE makes.

Making chips in Canada, CT

Re: Awesome TTS tool rack for Tormach enclosure by Santa Cruz Electronics!

I have one of the original tool racks that had acrylic shelves. It works wonderfully.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SC Rack.jpg  

I had an enclosure on my Series II 1100. I had the TTS rack and the monitor rack from Santa Cruz Electronics.

I sold the enclosure last weekend because when I had the machine in my garage, it was an absolute pain in the ass to get in and clean chips out.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

There seems to be interest in TTS holder storage so I thought that I'd post a few details of my storage. My enclosure is made of 80/20 aluminum extrusions so it is easy to attach things to the enclosure sides with T-nuts and 1/4-20 screws. I used some leftover 1x2x1/8 aluminum angle to make shelves for the TTS holders. To make it easier to insert/remove the holders the shelves are slightly angled using tapered washers and spacers.

I just switched from R8 to TTS which means I'll be making some new racks. My old one was very similar to yours, kstrauss. Looks like I'll be finding some 1x2x1/8 angle for the new setup. The R8 set screw holders without an ATC ring sure made it easy to store a bunch of collets in a small space, but I guess I gained a 10 spot collet rack with the ATC.

Not sure if this is helpful as this is a rather old thread but I stumble upon a these stackable TTS holders and they work great - being at an angle I am able to store 40 tools on the side of the machine with easy access:

I take no credit for the 3D model, but it is fantastic: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1221238
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200709_185756.jpg