585,743 active members*
4,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Help testing IGBT and repairing spindle drive AL-12

Help testing IGBT and repairing spindle drive AL-12

my spindle has dropped dead with AL-12. I have read lots of threads but still unclear on the testing.

I have the manual and the test procedure isn't particularly clear to me.
    I have probed the IGBT module and I have shorts between N and V and N and B4 as per the attached diagram. can someone confirm that this is a fail?
    Resistance checks were outside the range stated but that could be my cheap multi-meter.
    Is there anything else I should be checking on the lower board?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	igbt test.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	381300

on the upper drive board I found F3G 1A fuse was blown. There are lots of recommendations on replacing all the opto couplers and drive transistors as well as the diodes. the transistors and opto couplers are easy to identify but which diodes are the problem ones? there are lots do I need to replace them all?

I haven’t yet megged the motor as I don't have an appropriate meter.

Re: Help testing IGBT and repairing spindle drive AL-12

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm going through a similar issue. I have the same format igbt modules that I am trying to test. I'm a little confused at the chart in your post and was hoping to get clarification.
    I think the modules seem to be ok, yet the surge absorber /MOV unit (with three wires) blew up and charred the wiring and the case, tripplng the 3rd breaker on the drive. What else could cause this, could it be something on the top board improperly causing the modules to short????

I am also having a hard time finding a replacement for the surge absorber

this is on a a06b-6058-h321 triple axis drive BTW

I did eventually get it running.

This is the first step. Remember that this page was out of a spindle servo drive manual and may not be applicable to your drive. Most igbt modules look similar but can have different transistor setups.

The bit up the top tells you the test points.
    1. Red + lead of multimeter on the P and then you test points using the black – lead/ touch Uo and read then move to Vo then to Wo. The diagram on the left showing the circuit indicates it is made up of NPN transistors so P is connected to the C collector Uo,Vo,Wo are the E emitter of each transistor in the top row. The judgment table lists what the reading should be. I just use a diode test mode and test for shorts.

Once you identify if it is good or bad you move on and have to test the drive circuit before you replace and test the igbt. For that I recommend a cheap DSO. There are some voltage tests you can do but I found in my case the only voltage within spec was actually the bad circuit. Looking at the wave forms gives a better idea if the drive circuit is ok or not.

I recommend you try and find the specific servo drive manual rather than this spindle drive info unless you really have to.

hi regina I tried responding to your pm but it said you can't recive pm's or have it turned off?

Quote Originally Posted by landslide1 View Post
    I did eventually get it running.

...you move on and have to test the drive circuit before you replace and test the igbt. For that I recommend a cheap DSO. There are some voltage tests you can do but I found in my case the only voltage within spec was actually the bad circuit. Looking at the wave forms gives a better idea if the drive circuit is ok or not.
    landslide, was your drive circuit okay? if it was not okay, what would be/was a possible solution for the drive circuit aside from the IGBT.

I've got a spindle drive amp that has blown IGBT's a few times this year.