584,829 active members*
4,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dyanapath 10 on a Hurco problem

Been a long time since I stopped in here, I have a Hurco Hawk 5D 3 axis mill with dynapath 10 control. I replaced the power supply when I bought the machine and it worked flawlesly for about 14 yrs. I have not used the machine on a regualr basis for almost 5 yrs. it just sets in the back of the shop powered up. Now about a month ago I went to use it and it worked fine or appeared to. However I went back a week later and ran a program and it tripped saying loss of feedback on an axis, The symptoms are if the feed rate is low on the override it will run a complete program fine BUT if I put the feed rate at the normal position and the program ends and AXIS start to rapid it faults. My immediate assumption was a power supply issue. I had the power supply rebuilt as they found noise on it. I reinstalled and found it still appears to have an issue. My question is with no documentation on the machine how do you find parts or help do I call Hurco, Dynapath or servo dynamics. I think the power supply if Iam calling it correctly is bad for the servos ( axis). The issue does not stay with one axis it switches sometimes Z other times X and now Y. leads me to believe still power issue. and no one can tell me what this picture is is this the AXIS power supply, you have large CAP a board and some long black cylinder under teh card.
    Attachment 428650

Re: Dyanapath 10 on a Hurco problem

rock4xfab,

The picture you show is the servo (axis) power supply. I'm not sure if this is the cause of your problem though. One way to test this if you know someone with an oscilloscope would be to put the scope on the power supply output and run the program that causes the fault you describe. If the power supply is at fault you should see something on the scope.

Another thing that comes to mind would be a bad ground somewhere that causes a problem when there is a large current draw such as when the servos ramp up to speed. The approach would be to follow the wiring all through the machine to clean and verify all ground connections. Check the wire crimps as well by tugging on the connectors.

RT

I spoke with Dyanpath today they had me check the capacitor for teh proper bus voltage. He thinks it may be a lag issue however I rewired the machine to the Disco and now it wont go past the innitail boot screen.. Amazing how it starts with one issue and run into others. Pretty hard to Diagnois when it never does the same thing twice. After getting the new POwer supply I ran the power across teh shop to 240VAC breaker panel instead of the 208 it was wired onto. ( same probel existed even after) so Dyanpath recomended I plug it back intot he 208. I dont quite agree ans will wire it back to the 240 later tonight when no one is around to verify Xformer out put voltages. As for the program that trips it is not specific,, it is only specific to the point the program ends and it goes to rapid home. That is when all hell breaks loose. Well it was until this newest issue..

A few thoughts:
    - With power off, pull and reseat all the boards from the control. You may have to do this a few times.
    - I'm not sure if you have taps on the transformer in your machine, but if the axes were tuned on 208 Vac and you are now on 240 Vac, it's possible your lag settings are off.
    - Is the machine properly grounded to the panel?
    - Are all the terminals, connector pins, connectors, switch blocks, etc secure and tight?
    - Any chafing of the wires?
    - Any possibility that a metal chip landed on a circuit board?

RT

I am going to reset the boards tomorrow, no chaffing no chips. up until I took the power supply out and had it rebuilt the machine worked it just faulted on Rapid home. The machine has been run on 208 and 240 with no issue and the Dyunapath guy said that 208 would help if it were an issue with BUS power. The machine is grounded in panel and Copper rod in the floor. Only changes were rebuilt power supply and removing 3 cards to get there. The machine did turn on and run after the supply was replaced. But it was temp run to the new panel across the floor and I did not want to leave it that way so I removed power from the machine. Keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Hopefully reseating the cards will get us back to troubleshooting the servo issue. It still sounds like a connection/ground lifted somewhere or faulty servo supply or lag.

RT