584,842 active members*
4,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question VFD Trouble, Can't Find Manual

I recently got 2 cheap 6040 machines, and I've run into a weird issue. At any speed other than max speed, the RPM kind of wanders up and down over the course of half a minute or so. If I hold any button on the control panel for the VFD it'll do the same thing but fluctuate faster. I'm not sure what the problem is. As well, the RPM on the display reads up to 12000RPM at 400Hz, but I have an 800W spindle that's supposedly rated up to 24000RPM?

I did some looking around, and I couldn't actually find the exact VFD I have. Model number says "AT100-S2-0R7G", no branding. It looks almost identical to this one: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...017975889.html

As for what's controlling it, It has one of these USB MACH3 boards that reads as RNRMOTION and it worked with just copying over the proper .dll files: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32967913484.html
    It looks like it's just sending out PWM for speed control.

Re: VFD Trouble, Can't Find Manual

After talking with some sellers I was able to get one to send me a manual for this VFD. I couldn't figure out the problem with the speed variation but I'll upload the manual here so anyone else getting a similar one can at least have the reference.

(Uploaded external because apparently it won't let me upload the pdf here? https://www.mediafire.com/file/yn83l...anual.pdf/file)

You need to troubleshoot the VFD, e.g. current and voltage drop/unbalance between phases, etc.
    Not sure how the manual help here. Try to seek for tutorials on how to troubleshoot a VFD, that would save you a lot of time
    Let us know what your findings are

Quote Originally Posted by cavemaneca View Post
    I recently got 2 cheap 6040 machines, and I've run into a weird issue. At any speed other than max speed, the RPM kind of wanders up and down over the course of half a minute or so. If I hold any button on the control panel for the VFD it'll do the same thing but fluctuate faster. I'm not sure what the problem is. As well, the RPM on the display reads up to 12000RPM at 400Hz, but I have an 800W spindle that's supposedly rated up to 24000RPM?

I did some looking around, and I couldn't actually find the exact VFD I have. Model number says "AT100-S2-0R7G", no branding. It looks almost identical to this one: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...017975889.html

As for what's controlling it, It has one of these USB MACH3 boards that reads as RNRMOTION and it worked with just copying over the proper .dll files: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32967913484.html
    It looks like it's just sending out PWM for speed control.
    If your spindle is 24,000 and you are only getting 12,000 you have parameters set in correct, you also most likely have a EMI problem as well need to see how you have it wired post some photos of your VFD and spindle wiring
    Mactec54

I've got a couple pictures attached of the internals for the control box they sent, including how the VFD is wired up.

One thing I noticed looking over this is that the large toroidal transformer is for powering the motors. The 220VAC rated VFD is only hooked up to 120VAC. I'm not sure if there's any settings I can change that will compensate for that.

I've got a couple pictures attached of the internals for the control box they sent, including how the VFD is wired up.

One thing I noticed looking over this is that the large toroidal transformer is for powering the motors. The 220VAC rated VFD is only hooked up to 120VAC. I'm not sure if there's any settings I can change that will compensate for that.
    Some VFD Drives can have a 120v input power supply, but if it is not designed for 120v then it will only output 120v also, so if your spindle motor is 220v then there may be a problem in it being able to have full power

There is a label on the side of the VFD Drive what is on that label will tell you what you have
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    There is a label on the side of the VFD Drive what is on that label will tell you what you have
    The VFD is supposed to have 220v input.

The label says

Code:
    INPUT  :1PH AC 8.2A 50Hz/60Hz
            220V (+10%, -15%)

OUTPUT :3PH 0~220V 5.0A 0~300Hz

The VFD is supposed to have 220v input.

The label says

Code:
    INPUT  :1PH AC 8.2A 50Hz/60Hz
            220V (+10%, -15%)

OUTPUT :3PH 0~220V 5.0A 0~300Hz
    Yes sometimes the label will say that but it may have a voltage multiplier 120 / 220 built in you would have to ask the supplier / seller, if it is 220/240v then you would have to rewire your system or get a different VFD Drive that can be used for 120v input to 220v output
    Mactec54

I have the same box. Thanks for the manual. I was able to get it to turn manually with the pot but I can not get it to work with Mach3. It does not work well with the pot but does turns. Could you provide the settings you use on your unit?