584,814 active members*
5,227 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

UCCNC and Win10 questions

So I am currently wanting to make a change in software if needed. I have a control box that came with a system from Cand CNC which I want to use. It is their 5 axis plaz pack servo system which I purchased in 2014. It came with Mach3 but my understanding is that Mach3 does not do well with Win10 or doesnt work at all. Is this correct? My question from what I learned from someone on another forum is that I can go with UCCNC and one of their controllers and stay with Win10 as my OS. Im in a big learning curve here so please bear with me on this. I really dont want to spend 1k just to get a computer with Linux installed and a different controller installed if I dont have to. It looks to me like I can stay with Win10, get the UCCNC software and their controller and Ill be fine. If there are other solutions Im open to here what they are. I really just want to get my table up and running without spending a bunch more money if I dont have to go that route. Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks.

Oneweldingpapa

Re: UCCNC and Win10 questions

The version of Mach3 currently on the Machsupport website does work with Windows 10, but no other version does.

Yes,, you can simply buy UCCNC and a CNC Drive controller and swap it over. You may need a new breakout board as well, depending on how the system is configured, and which controller you buy.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The version of Mach3 currently on the Machsupport website does work with Windows 10, but no other version does.

Yes,, you can simply buy UCCNC and a CNC Drive controller and swap it over. You may need a new breakout board as well, depending on how the system is configured, and which controller you buy.
    So when I called CandCNC they said they would change out 3 items in the box. My guess would be the breakout board, motoin controller which is currently for Mach3 and possibly the DTHC for a compatible one? Do I need a DTHC with the UCCNC software ? Lots of questions I know but its the only I know to get answers.

Quote Originally Posted by oneweldingpapa View Post
    So when I called CandCNC they said they would change out 3 items in the box. My guess would be the breakout board, motoin controller which is currently for Mach3 and possibly the DTHC for a compatible one? Do I need a DTHC with the UCCNC software ? Lots of questions I know but its the only I know to get answers.
    You can use Windows 10. with UCCNC.
    What type of machine is this? Plasma? If it is plasma then you will need THC controller. especially if you will cut thin and bent sheets.

Yes, that is my understanding also. I guess I am just trying to decide whether to stick with Mach3 or make the jump to something different. If I can do what everyone is saying I can then I think maybe I could go to UCCNC fairly cheap and still be windows based. It is plasma that we are talking about so yes, I will need a DTHC for whatever software I end up running.

UC motion controllers all work with both Mach3, Mach4 and UCCNC. You can run both softwares, just just need a UC100 or UC400ETH or UC300ETH or AXBB-E controller. My advice is to get an ethernet controller from one of these. All are with ethernet except the UC100 which is USB.

Question for you , why are you wanting to run Win10 ?? IF you stay with XP or Win7 32 bit it will run just fine and you wil never have a problem. IF you switch to UCCNC you will have problems as you will have to ADD an outside THC controller and UCCNC has a GLITCH in their thc control code where you HAVE to run with Acceleration in teh Z axis and that causes some odd things to happen when running a plasma cutter with THC control.

You can run Mach3/Win10 with teh UCCNC controller as far as I know. But you still need a thc controller to go with it

You could run Win10 and Mach3 with a ESS and their optional THC controller but you are in for some rewiring and interfacing

In teh past I did a conversion of a CandCNC Plasma Pack with a UC400eth controller and hacked into their THC controller to make it work but not an easy thing to do. The UC400eth fits nicely into the MP3000 control box. Also I am in the process of repairing a CandCNC unit and they will not sell parts for the older control boxes and really do NOT want to repair them their selves. Tried to buy a NEW driver box but NOPE they only wanted to sell complete units with NEW linux controllers. I was NOT interested in that .

The unit still runs Win XP without problems.

Another interesting conversion would be to use Win10/Mach3 with a UC400eth and a RazorDance THC controller. IF you just had to use Win10 for some reason.

Just a thought or two. (:-) TP

I never had any of these problems. I'm running a THC (proma 150) for 2 years now with which the UCCNC controls the Z axis. It runs flawless.

Maybe I was thinking the grass was greener on the other side. From the last two post I am thinking just stick with what I have, purchase a dedicated Dell cheap from amazon with Win 7 installed and go with it. Is Linux actually all that much better? I have been reading about how different ones were migrating to Linux for various reasons but if I can stay with Mach and be happy I"m fine with that. Just a thought. I do appreciate the feedback and thoughts on here though.

Question for you , why are you wanting to run Win10 ?? IF you stay with XP or Win7 32 bit it will run just fine and you wil never have a problem. IF you switch to UCCNC you will have problems as you will have to ADD an outside THC controller and UCCNC has a GLITCH in their thc control code where you HAVE to run with Acceleration in teh Z axis and that causes some odd things to happen when running a plasma cutter with THC control.
    Of course you have to run with acceleration. Your motor loose steps if you run it without acceleration.

Does that apply if I"m running servos and not stepper motors? I have servos with the setup I have.

Why don't you just make your PC dual boot. Partition the drive into 2. Keep Win10 intact on 1 and run Win7 on the other.
    You can get a Win7 key for next to nothing on bay then download Win7 32bit SP1 and install.
    Then just run Mach on Win7 side. This has now cost next to nothing to do.

I still use Win xp on a dedicated PC because I prefer the stability. Luckily I still have my retail discs from 2004!
    Hated trying to get mine working on 7.
    Absolutely hate Win10 full stop.

" Of course you have to run with acceleration. Your motor loose steps if you run it without acceleration. "

NOT Z under THC control (;-) Mach3 has been doing it for MANY years now under THC control.

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Why don't you just make your PC dual boot. Partition the drive into 2. Keep Win10 intact on 1 and run Win7 on the other.
    You can get a Win7 key for next to nothing on bay then download Win7 32bit SP1 and install.
    Then just run Mach on Win7 side. This has now cost next to nothing to do.

I still use Win xp on a dedicated PC because I prefer the stability. Luckily I still have my retail discs from 2004!
    Hated trying to get mine working on 7.
    Absolutely hate Win10 full stop.
    Great idea except that I use my laptop for my Solidworks and would be try to juggle between the two too much.
    Next question. Would you say that Mach runs better on XP than Win7? I can buy a cheap refurbished Dell and I have my disc for Win7 but if I’m going to have a dedicated unit for the table I would like to set it up as well as possible. I would be running Mach3 with Sheetcam. What are your thoughts on that one? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    " Of course you have to run with acceleration. Your motor loose steps if you run it without acceleration. "

NOT Z under THC control (;-) Mach3 has been doing it for MANY years now under THC control.

(;-) TP
    Interesting because it is still a stepper motor which needs acceleration and decceleration no matter if it is THC control or whatever. I don't think mach3 did that you probably misunderstanding something.

And I used mach3 first and I did not see any difference in the THC performance, the only difference was that UCCNC runs the path smoother and more reliable.

With Mach3 and THC control of teh Z it uses what is called a Bang Bang trajectory. It simply switches ON/OFF teh pulse stream. Using this method though you are limited to your stepper motors natural frequency limit with Velocity before it misses steps. BUT it is the fastest method to control the Z axis under THC control. Mach3 has used this method since day one with THC control.

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    With Mach3 and THC control of teh Z it uses what is called a Bang Bang trajectory. It simply switches ON/OFF teh pulse stream. Using this method though you are limited to your stepper motors natural frequency limit with Velocity before it misses steps. BUT it is the fastest method to control the Z axis under THC control. Mach3 has used this method since day one with THC control.

(;-) TP
    OK I undertand it now. I remember a few times my Z stepper stall with Mach3 and I always thought that some dust or something went into the Z screw, but now that you explained this I know that it stalled because it uses no acceleration pffff.

So something like this with Win7 or WinXP 32bit would do the trick for me with Mach?