585,599 active members*
3,576 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser Tube CO2 PSU

Hi All

Have a Chinese Laser Machine(Kaitian) CM120. We purchased it from Supplier and it was delivered with 130Watt CO2 tube.
    I think the laser power supply is not large enough for the tube. So i would like to find out what wattage power supply
    i have. The power supply is not housed in a metal enclosure and is open but housed in compartment behind machine. I have attached a picture
    which is not the best. So i cant see any specification on supply.

How can i test the supply safely? Need to determine the wattage of the supply so i can take the suppliers on if they supplied me
    with wrong wattage laser supply.

Thanks
    CM120
    CM120

Re: Laser Tube CO2 PSU

So the only way I can think of is if you hook up a power meter in series on the negative end (which is a good addition to ensure you aren't sending too much power anyhow). See elsewhere on the how to part for that.

Work up to 100% power in the controller (and therefore power supply) and see if you are in the recommended long term working range of mA for the tube you have. If the tube is not using up to its recommended mA when the power supply is at 100% then its under supplied by the power supply. If it is in the right range, you are fine.

A common alternative problem is that the seller sold you a system where they advertised the max power of the tube (not the suggested working wattage, the max wattage that works but will burn out the tube in short order) and the power supply is matched to that working power, not the theoretically maximum power. You would need to research the model of the tube you have first. Either way the process is the same but one results in the power supply as the issue, the other is the tube.

One is an under built machine to save costs, the other is a seller that lied.
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Thanks

Between when we got the machine and now we had kid etc. So we didnt operate and play around with machine during that
    period a lot but i have decided to get into it again.

Reason i have my suspicion that the PSU could be too small is that my wife ordered the machine with a 80watt tube and upon delivery they
    told us when installing the tube that they will be giving us a 120 watt tube. We didnt think anything strange about it but i think when they
    delivered they didnt have a 80watt in stock so they grabbed a 120watt tube instead.

So that is why i want to test the the PSU unit. Will be contacting supplier for Tube specifications so i can get to the bottom of this.

Do all Tubes of certain wattage have the same operating voltage or does it vary from supplier to supplier?

most china suppliers they wont make mistakes on this problem, they follow the rules 80w tube come with 80w PS, 100w tube go with 100PS....,a way to test, with a meter to test current while lasering, and it has a high pressure danger, not adviced if not professional. another thing is PS cover u will see a hole, used to adjust current, means u can have it 95% lasering, or 105% lasrring. and if u dont use this machinr, tube and PS will get aged as time going by.

Chencan cnc router from 1998.
    skype marylee0411

We bought machine from distributor in South Africa and distributor's technical know how is not the best. So i think they would be able
    to supply wrong tube for power supply

Any chance you could share the drivers/manuals with me?
    Kind regards
    Daniel