584,808 active members*
4,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Buying SIEG SC4 LATHE (M3, CNC ready). Good idea?

Buying SIEG SC4 LATHE (M3, CNC ready). Good idea?

Wanted to own a benchtop lathe since the day I started turning small OD4mm parts worth $0.1 each onto a 2200KG lathe sucking up 30AMPS from the wall at 3500RPM :/
    Found one yesterday advertised locally and went to see it today. All flat surfaces looking brand new, comes with 1000W spindle brushless motor (I think), 100mm chuck adaptor, two small steppers, M3 bob, and a few quick-change tools. Nice kit.

You guessed my question: can those cut okay on let's say AL6061?
    The owner tells me there is no problem at all, but refused to give me a demo before a cash deposit (for some strange reason I didn't understood nor asked lol), insisting he wanted to keep it clean for another potential buyer, so I'd like to hear about others who perhaps have the same model.

Reasonably good benchtop lathe to have? Precision (he told me 0.01mm), does that make sense?

Thanks

Re: Buying SIEG SC4 LATHE (M3, CNC ready). Good idea?

I own it's smaller variant (a Sieg C3 7x14 resold by Homier) and it has no problem going thru aluminum. As long as you use sharp tooling, appropriate cutting fluid, and aren't taking ABom size cuts, steel is no problem either.

However...

The owner tells me there is no problem at all, but refused to give me a demo before a cash deposit (for some strange reason I didn't understood nor asked lol),
    That gives me pause...

Were it I selling the machine; I'd just stick some paper towels over the ways and have at it. Not being willing to do a simple, quick demo tells me that something is wrong: either the seller is hiding a problem with the machine; doesn't know how to calibrate it properly and thinks that a calibration error is a problem with the machine; or is seriously lazy.

Thanks for confirming this, Britt. All I needed to hear really.

Emailed him today telling him to keep me in-line for "buyer", with only condition to let me do a rough cut on an AL bar. Interestingly he replied/agreed so I hopped in the car quick and nearly race to his place.
    Anyway. OD30mm 6061 turned out with a mirror finish, but that's partly because the dude did it with a spanking new PCD cutter (funny guy lol).
    Also brought a dial indicator with me and checked on backlash for both axis (0.02 max). One thing I wasn't particularly impressed with is when putting on a bit of weigh on the chuck that dial shifted by as much as 0.1~0.2mm. I'm guessing this is normal considering this is a rather small lathe. He also confirmed this wasn't an issue if light finishing cuts were considered. So I can assume there are no knurling or steel deep threading operations, which isn't a huge deal breaker for what I need it for anyway

It comes with a sheet metal stand so I'll go pick it up this weekend with a friend's mini van.
    Coolest lathe I've seen in many years... the whole thing is like the size of my other lathe's X travel almost. Exciting days ahead I'm sure.

Little lathes can do plenty of great work. Cutting steel or deep threads with CNC is a no brainer. It just keeps repeating the sequence as many times as needed ;-) Congrats. I have machined a few motorcycle parts for a friend in my Sherline lathe. It is just easier to set up and manipulate at times.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Looks like you got a nice little lathe there. It is just a bit smaller than my Precision Mathews 1228 but looks to have all the same features.

Do you plan to CNC it? I did on mine and it turned out fantastic.

I've had a C4 for about 6 - 7 years now and although I don't flog stuff through it every week, it has never failed to do what I need, steel (mild or stainless) or aluminium - it is probably better / more capable than I am in all honesty. From what i've read, it is maybe one of the better small chinese lathes out of the box.

Also have a C3 I changed the quills on the top slides to brass smooth and tight also had an issue with the chuck it was not accurate when I put a ground steel rod in about 10 thou out so a Sanou 3 jaw was a great upgrade these things are so nice and well made .So i guess using lathes over the years I got used to the longitudinal handle being on the right the trade off for me was the motor is great variable speed ,forward and reverse and ease of use ,not to mention the small footprint have fun .