584,812 active members*
5,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > GS3 VFD 10hp/4Kw Chinese Spindle
Page 1 of 2 12

GS3 VFD 10hp/4Kw Chinese Spindle

I have had issues in the past with this spindle on a Chinese VFD, which is the one shown in the video.

Spindle Bogs down in cut. - YouTube

I switched out the VFD for a GS3 10hp and hadn't really had any issues since (but I don't push the spindle much at all, mostly V-Carving and 2.5D work), until I bought a new 2.25" spoil board cutter. I was running it at 12000 rpm, 300ipm, and the spindle stopped dead within about 4 seconds of cutting, with the cutter being ramped in on a 0.03 fly cut. By my assumptions, this setup should have had no issue with that cut at all.

Same as previous. If you look at the VFD (I never really paid attention to this before), the spindle was only pulling about 3.6 amps when it failed, and the VFD tried to push it to 6.6 but at that point it was too late.

So my question is this. Is it really the spindles issue, not the VFD. I would assume the spindle would be pulling 18 amps (max load) fairly quickly, or are the windings on 1 or 2 phases not working correctly?

I am not an electrical person, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: GS3 VFD 10hp/4Kw Chinese Spindle

Have you set the VFD parameters to match the motor parameters? Sounds like it is current limiting.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I am going to quadruple check them when I get home, but yes. First thing I am going to do is check resistance on the spindle windings, and then go from there.

I assume you are feeding the VFD with 3 phase. I heard that the 5HP and larger GS3s will only run on 3 phase, but personally have never tried to run the larger ones on single phase.

Also are you using SV mode? P2.10 = 2 This will dramatically improve lower speed performance.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

It is on single phase. The GS3's will run at max 3hp on 1 phase, but that should still be within the limits of the machine.

I would almost bet that it is the P2.10 parameter. I will verify in about an hour.

Be sure to run the auto tuning routine per the instructions to run in SV mode.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this.

4KW is 5.3 HP, so may be out of single phase range of your 10HP drive. When the spindle stops what error is on the VFD display?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I changed P2.10 parameter to 2, and I changed the parameter to 1 for Auto Tune, but it says "Error" on the display instead of "MOTOR AUTO-TUNE <STOP> TO CANCEL"

There is no error, it just seems to take forever to respond to load, where I would think that it would be instantaneous (almost)

All of the other parameters looked correct to me based on the spindle I have.

I tried another cut, and the motor load was at 23% (running at 15,000 RPM, 120 IPM) when it stopped running. It was at 1.4% with no load on the motor before it started cutting. It takes about 4 seconds for the spindle to completely bog down, and you can see the VFD sending more power, but it is about 5% a second, which I think is way, way to slow.

I have never had that error come up. But the difference is that my 10HP GS3 is running on 3 phase from my rotary phase converter. My 3HP GS3 is running on single phase, but it also auto tuned just fine.

Not sure what is going on there. I just read through the auto tune procedure and did not find a reference to Error unless the Stop button is pressed. Maybe in the error coded section?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks again Jim for you help.

The auto-torque boost is set to 0. From what I can tell, that is what determines how fast the VFD will give a boost while under load. Should I try it at a higher number?

Also, I tried to set the mid-point frequency to 200 from 5 (since it is 0 to 400) and it says that same ------ERROR-------

You could try the setting the torque boost higher and see what happens. Normally the mid-point frequency is set around 5, not really sure how this affects anything.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Changing both of those settings did not help.

I am kind of at a loss right now.

I need to contact the manufacturer anyway to get a firmware update, so I am going to run it by them as well.

There is only one thing left that I think it could plausibly be, and I am going to be pretty pissed if that is it.

Well, that wasn't it. I had changed the front of the machine to make it more usable and had pulled the leads from the VFD so I could change where it was mounted. I was wondering if it was spinning in reverse, but it isn't.

Well that just sucks. :tired: Is there any error on the display when it stops?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

No sir.

I let it stop, but not much farther than that because the machine will drag the bit all over the table like a rag doll.

It does get to about 50% motor load now, but it isn't enough to overcome the hp needed to run the bit. Even with the machine at 100ipm, it stops within 4 seconds.

That is very strange. If the VFD faults out there should be an error message, so maybe it is not faulting but rather you are shutting it off before it can fault. I'm not saying you shouldn't shut it off, but that might explain the lack of a fault message.

It could be that you are just not producing enough torque to run that bit, but that is a lot of spindle so I'm surprised. Too bad it won't auto tune, If you could run it in SV mode it would produce near full torque at near 0 RPM, and certainly produce full torque at 12K RPM.

The good news is that the tech support at Automation Direct is great.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I was able to get auto-tune to run. I had to switch P3.00 to 0 so I could use the control panel instead of the signal being sent from my computer.

After auto-tune, I ran the toolpath again, and let it go about 6 seconds after the bit had stopped before I cut it off. The motor load showed 36.6% the whole time it was stopped, with no faults.

I also changed out the bit to a 1" straight bit that I have used many times, and it bogged down just the same. I think it is the spindle, not the VFD. I am going to pull the whole setup and sell the VFD, and just go to a production grade router. I have messed with this spindle with 2 different VFDs and I am just kind of done. The work requirement that I used to have for it is no longer there, and I just want to move on from it.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Pity that you have to give up now....can i suggest something?

Just to give you an idea of the amount of torque i get from a very cheap chinese 2.2Kw drive and hertz 1.5Kw spindle. I was milling aluminium when the part came loose, it did not jam immediately but took huge chunks out of the aluminium....It never stalled, i had to stop the spindle.

I don't doubt that the VFD and spindle are both very capable when they are setup correctly. I just don't have the luxury of time right now to troubleshoot the machine while the spindle is on it.

Busy season is upon us, and my wife gave me the luxury of taking a couple of weeks and re-doing some things that have hindered me for a while with the machine. At the end of all of that, it doesn't seem to be working out and I need to switch tact for a little while.

The VFD should be worth $500 all day long, and that will get me a router that will do what I need for right now, and if I decide to go back to a spindle, I won't have reservations in doing so.

Something about this spindle just spooks me, and after having issues on and off for 7 years, I am just ready to move on.

If anyone wants to purchase the spindle, I will sell it for $50 + shipping as is. It may be a beast, I just have never been able to find out.

I was pretty happy with a Porter Cable 75182 router motor. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/p...ly-model-75182

ER20 collet nuts are available for the 7500 series routers https://buildyourcnc.com/routeraccessories.aspx
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Page 1 of 2 12