3,459 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: New version V2.3.4 released

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    There is mention of G37.x in the release notes and that the documentation is in the newest operator's manual but there is no mention in the manual at https://www.tormach.com/support/wpdm...ual-0916a-web/ Any suggestions for where to find the appropriate manual for G37 information?
    Also used by the 24r router to set tool heights with ets. A few pages in manual on how to set one up for use.

I understand that PP 2.4.1 may be coming soon to correct an issue with G37 and G21 in 2.4.0

Quote Originally Posted by spyderguy550 View Post
    I see G37 info in the 770M Operator's Manual. Section 10.2.11
    https://www.tormach.com/support/wpdm...erator-manual/
    This does explain the use and work flow of g37 and g37.1 much better. I looked at my pcnc manual and it had nothing about this command and how its used. The 24r manual details enough to setup an ets but not much on the strategy in code for use. The 770 manual even details how to use it for offset spindle use. Wonder why the information is inconsistent .

I just downloaded the new release of 2.4.1. The release notes show a fix for a G37 issue.

One of the nice things about the recent releases is combining the G37 capability with offsets. If you have an aux spindle you can create a tool number with X&Y offsets that match your aux spindle position (except with the signs reversed) then you can use G37 to set the tool length from withing your program, after a manual tool change.

My aux spindle has an er collet, so this allows for setting the tool length after I change out the bit.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    One of the nice things about the recent releases is combining the G37 capability with offsets. If you have an aux spindle you can create a tool number with X&Y offsets that match your aux spindle position (except with the signs reversed) then you can use G37 to set the tool length from withing your program, after a manual tool change.

My aux spindle has an er collet, so this allows for setting the tool length after I change out the bit.

Terry
    The MX mills have a bt30 taper, is there an off line way to measure one? I would think they need to automate tool offset setting with a taper.
    And as you mention this can be used for aux spindle tool changes and also the strategy used by the 24r for accurate tool changes with a er20 spindle.

Not exactly sure what you're asking, do you mean measuring the offset of your aux spindle?

I measured mine on line by setting X&Y to zero, then interpolating a small hole (3/4" with the aux spindle without moving anything. After I cut the hole, I switched from G54 to G55, probed the hole with my digital probe, which set X&Y to zero, then switched back to G54 which showed the X&Y distance from the original spindle zero.

Terry

Hi Terry,
    I was thinking the main reasons for adding the g37 feature to path pilot was the new mx mills have a bt30 spindle. I have never seen a way to measure bt30 tool heights with a surface plate and height gauge like the tts system works and reason for question above about offline measure of bt30 tools.

L

OK, now I understand. I have no experience with bt30 tooling and didn't know about the off machine measuring difficulty, it makes sense now that you point it out.

Thanks
    Terry

Presetting BT30 tools is no different than presetting TTS tooling or any other type tooling. Exact same process.

Just a thought , (;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    ... also the strategy used by the 24r for accurate tool changes with a er20 spindle.
    Could you please elaborate? Would that approach be useful with an auxiliary spindle on a PCNC assuming that the scheme is something mechanical like TTS or do they just use an ETS?

Don't want to speak for Mountaindew, but I believe he meant that most folks measure TTS tooling off the machine with surface plates and height gauges. But since that;s hard to do with bt30, they added G37 to allow it to be done easily on the machines.

Terry

Thanks. I was having wishful thoughts that perhaps Tormach had created some flavour of TTS that worked directly in an ER20.

That would be nice !

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Thanks. I was having wishful thoughts that perhaps Tormach had created some flavour of TTS that worked directly in an ER20.
    It does require an electronic tool setter. But the strategy looks like it will work for setting tool heights in any type holder. tts, bt30, aux er collet ...

Another behavior of g37 in code is between operations using same tool and number machine will go over and check tool height and and compare to table if it varies it will stop indicating broken tool. Or so I read.

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    Presetting BT30 tools is no different than presetting TTS tooling or any other type tooling. Exact same process.

Just a thought , (;-) TP
    I use 2 different ways to do this . The surface plate and height gauge or electronic tool setter. I never seen a surface plate with a bt 30 taper. So I assumed an ets was only way.

You don't need a surface plate for the TTS either -- a big enough vee block with nice ground sides is all you need, for the flange to sit against, and for the zero to be taken against.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    You don't need a surface plate for the TTS either -- a big enough vee block with nice ground sides is all you need, for the flange to sit against, and for the zero to be taken against.
    Is a surface plate for tapered tool holder height measuring the normal or most used method? All I have ever seen used were electronic tool setters. I see them sold here and there but not used much.

Tormach has a small surface plate (granite block) with a bored hole for the TTS tool holder.
    You put the tool holder in the hole, the flange sits on the plate. You use a height gage sitting on the plate to measure the tip of the tool, and punch that number into the tool table.
    For the machines like the Tormach, this is useful for two reasons:
    - it's cheaper than the electronic setter, and needs no calibration or maintenance (assuming your height gage is good)
    - the Tormach machines don't have particularly large work envelopes, so cluttering up the bed with a pre-installed setter (like you'll often see in Haas VFs) would remove useful area
    Yes, you can use an ETS on a Tormach, if those aren't problems for you. I think Tormach even sells one.

Page 2 of 3 123