584,829 active members*
5,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

where will it fit?

Can it be up against the wall on the back and tailstock end? I see the access panel to the control box on the headstock end that there needs to be access to. Obviously the operator area and it looks like the coolant tank comes out the front. Are there any other points that need to be accessed to setup and run the machine?
    -Jon

Re: where will it fit?

Yes. I rarely have a need to open the tailstock window once I had the machine setup.

- - - Updated - - -

Just be sure to leave enough room for changing pulleys. That's a definite pain in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDW View Post
    That's a definite pain in the rear.
    I thought you said the back could be against the wall... ohhhh. Sorry, couldn't resist.
    -Jon

The door to the computer is on the tailstock end (right side if you are standing in front).... it swings out on the door, so you need about 12 inches to be able to open and close the door to get to the USB ports... though you could wire a USB extender/hub and then push against the wall and probably never have to open that door unless you need to swap out/fix the CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren_3Deee View Post
    The door to the computer is on the tailstock end (right side if you are standing in front).... it swings out on the door, so you need about 12 inches to be able to open and close the door to get to the USB ports... though you could wire a USB extender/hub and then push against the wall and probably never have to open that door unless you need to swap out/fix the CPU.
    I would leave enough room on the computer side (right) to get to the computer but you don't need much. However on the tailstock side (left) you need about 24" to swing the control cabinet out of the way to get to the high/low pulley and to load parts if you are using the collet closer or longer stock.
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    on the tailstock side (left)
    I'm confused why the left side of the lathe (the side that houses the spindle and motor) are being referred to as the "tailstock" end? Maybe I'm missing something or confused, but the tailstock installs from the right hand side of the lathe, above the side that houses the computer.

That's probably why Keen has his cpu in the monitor mount that he built. Looks like he has his machine pretty close to the wall right side and back side (what I would like to do). The documentation of the full enclosure seems basically non existent online I guess it only ships with the machine. Keen shows a panel above the computer cabinet that one presumably could install the tailstock through? It looks like there is another panel on the back/top that possibly serves the turret?
    -Jon

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    I would leave enough room on the computer side (right) to get to the computer but you don't need much. However on the tailstock side (left) you need about 24" to swing the control cabinet out of the way to get to the high/low pulley and to load parts if you are using the collet closer or longer stock.
    I like the idea of what Robin Renzetti did with his to make belt changes easier. Otherwise it looks like a pain in the swimsuit area.
    -Jon

I'm confused why the left side of the lathe (the side that houses the spindle and motor) are being referred to as the "tailstock" end? Maybe I'm missing something or confused, but the tailstock installs from the right hand side of the lathe, above the side that houses the computer.
    Freaking Friday! My brain was typing "spindle side - left" but for some reason my hands typed "tailstock"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maker of things View Post
    That's probably why Keen has his cpu in the monitor mount that he built. Looks like he has his machine pretty close to the wall right side and back side (what I would like to do). The documentation of the full enclosure seems basically non existent online I guess it only ships with the machine. Keen shows a panel above the computer cabinet that one presumably could install the tailstock through? It looks like there is another panel on the back/top that possibly serves the turret?
    Enclosure Tech Document:
    https://www.tormach.com/support/wpdm...install-0515a/

Attachment 429520

when do I need to use door 8 "rear access panel" ?
    -Jon

Quote Originally Posted by maker of things View Post
    Attachment 429520

when do I need to use door 8 "rear access panel" ?
    Mine is about 8" off the back wall. Many times I wish I could access the back through that door vs having to climb inside the machine to clean out chips and stuff from the backside of the lathe.