585,676 active members*
5,889 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Spindle problem NEED HELP

Spindle problem NEED HELP

Hello guys, having a problem with my spindle. I bought a C15 dual relay board to turn my router on/off and it was recommended to run a solid state relay also..so I wired everything up and and tried to see if the spindle would come on using M3 in mach3 and the thing wouldn't come on. So I went back and fourth trying other things in the software and still nothing..so now I'm thinking about the wiring I don't know if I have this hooked up right.i was wondering if you guys can help me out. I attached a diagram how it's hooked up..thanks guys

Re: Spindle problem NEED HELP

Quote Originally Posted by rick027 View Post
    Hello guys, having a problem with my spindle. I bought a C15 dual relay board to turn my router on/off and it was recommended to run a solid state relay also..so I wired everything up and and tried to see if the spindle would come on using M3 in mach3 and the thing wouldn't come on. So I went back and fourth trying other things in the software and still nothing..so now I'm thinking about the wiring I don't know if I have this hooked up right.i was wondering if you guys can help me out. I attached a diagram how it's hooked up..thanks guys
    Are you using 120v single phase
    Mactec54

Running 110v single phase.its just a 2hp porta cable router

Running 110v single phase.its just a 2hp porta cable router
    120v if you live in NA

Why are you using the Relay Board the solid state Relay if 5v to 30v input can be switched direct from the Breakout Board

Are you getting and output from the Breakout Board 0-5v check this with a meter this is what has to be working before you can check anything else
    Mactec54

Yes I'm getting 5v and I was only gonna use the relay board but in the instructions it said to also use a solid state relay so that's why I'm using a solid state with the relay board....

What is the part number on the SSR? A picture of it would be good. It looks like you are wired correctly per the diagram you show above.

Will the router turn on if you apply 24V directly to the SSR input terminals?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Yes I'm getting 5v and I was only gonna use the relay board but in the instructions it said to also use a solid state relay so that's why I'm using a solid state with the relay board....
    Then that should be enough to switch the Solid State Relay by it's self, can you do a close up of the top of the SSR this will tell us the operating voltage and amperage most have an input of 4-32v Dc

Yes the relay board could not switch the spindle by itself but may not be needed at all if you have the correct Solid State Relay which is a better way to do it
    Mactec54

Yes it turns and here's a pic of the ssr

Here's more pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pins.jpg   relay3.jpg  

As near as I can tell your wiring looks OK.

Looks like maybe you need to enable Output #2 and set to Port 0, and set the Relay Control screen (M3) to Output 2. Disclaimer: I'm not a Mach3 expert.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Yes it turns and here's a pic of the ssr
    Looking at your relay you did not need the relay Board or the 24v Power supply that would work direct wired to your Breakout Board output 0-5v
    Mactec54

So mactec, you think I should try hooking it up jUst to the SSR and go from there

So mactec, you think I should try hooking it up jUst to the SSR and go from there
    If the Breakout Board has 0-5v when you use M3 and M5 then yes you can direct connect to the Breakout Board that's all the relay needs to turn it on and off
    Mactec54

Thanks I'll try that ,and I'll let you know how I made out

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If the Breakout Board has 0-5v when you use M3 and M5 then yes you can direct connect to the Breakout Board that's all the relay needs to turn it on and off
    I got it to work with just the SSR ,relay board still doesn't wanna work so I'm gonna go with the SSR only, I tried contacting CNC4pc a few times through email ,about the board, maybe I was missing some kind of setting in mach3. They never got back to me....so I guess I have to go without..
    Thanks guys for all your help ....Mactec thanks again