584,829 active members*
4,890 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DNC help please!

Hello. New to this forum.

We recently had a lightning strike at our shop that took out 1 of my Haas CNC mills as well as my PC. Believe it or not, the surge came through our RS232 cables...not the electric! We also have 2 lathes with their communication boards fried out. Anyway, I had to purchase a new PC. The lightning fried my previous USB to SERIAL adapter, so I bought a new one. It's supposed to be one of the best. It has the FTDI chipset in it. The driver is installed, all the port settings are set correctly to match the machine. The machine sends programs to my PC perfectly, but I can not get the machines to receive data from the PC. I've literally tried everything. I tried on multiple machines, including the ones that were uneffected by the lightning. So I don't think it's the RS-232 ports on the machines. I tried new cables and replaced all the hardware that was possibly affected. The LED light comes on the adapter when I try to send. My software indicates that the transmission was successful. Yet my machines just sit there waiting to receive. I've done many hours of research, tried every DNC setting, checked all of the hardware...nothing is working. Im running windows 10 just like my previous PC. I've tried through both CimcoEdit and Predator software. The old adapter was made by Tripp-Light. Never had any issues with it. The only thing I can come up with is that the new adapter is defective. I ordered a new one...different brand, different chipset. I will just have to see if it works. But PLEASE offer any suggestions if you have them! Thanks!

-Brian

Re: DNC help please!

Old Idea...to Op-to insult-late. IP to RS232 There is a few different Mfg's
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quatech-SSE...MAAOSw1YRZo0y7

Also, USB Adapters seem to be unreliable I've heard...

Quick fixs....a working older PC with a DB9 port

Depending on the protocol you are using to communicate - I think the Hass machines just used raw ascii? - it's possible that the transmit driver chip on the Haas machine is OK; but the receiver is fried. If so, you would get the symptoms described.

Try connecting the two USB adapters with a null modem cable (or a couple of patch wires in the same configuration) and see if you can get data to flow from one to the other.

For reference:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem

Quote Originally Posted by __Britt View Post
    Depending on the protocol you are using to communicate - I think the Hass machines just used raw ascii? - it's possible that the transmit driver chip on the Haas machine is OK; but the receiver is fried. If so, you would get the symptoms described.

Try connecting the two USB adapters with a null modem cable (or a couple of patch wires in the same configuration) and see if you can get data to flow from one to the other.

For reference:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem
    Yes, I've been reading about these null modem cables. I know they have a different pin configuration. But I didn't need one of those before. I just had a straight through cable. I just received my new USB to Serial adapter. If it doesn't work, the null modem will be the next thing I try. Thanks!

The null-modem cable (either purchased or improvised) was just to test the USB adapters; you wouldn't need it to hook to your CNC. The idea being to do something like this:

PC 1 <--> USB Adapter A <--> Null Modem <--> USB Adapter B <--> PC 2

Then you fire up a serial terminal program on each PC, and see if what you type on one PC shows up on the other; and vise-versa. If you get communication going both ways, that proves that there is something wrong between the USB adapter and the CNC's processor; and if the cable from the USB adapter to the CNC's serial port checks out OK with a multi-meter; then the problem is the CNC's serial port.

If you don't get communications between the PCs, and you've double checked the null modem wiring, then one or both USB adapters is defective; but just probably the original one as that one is known to not function with the CNC.

No luck with the new usb-serial adapter. Same exact problem. Once again, the LED tansmit light on the adapter is indicating data output, and my software is saying "transmission successful." I'm ruling out the adapter as the problem.

All the hardware to the machines has been replaced. All my port settings match the machine settings, although I've tried different settings just to see.

I can't even get the machines to alarm out. They just sit there "waiting for data." They see nothing coming in. But once again, I can send programs to my PC no problem.

Maybe the ports on the machines DID get damaged by the lightning. I don't know...I'm a mahinist, not a technician. Pulling out my hair at this point! Guess we'll have to get a tech in to look at it..

Any other suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

-Brian

So, what you are saying is....No problem with CNC to PC..then transfer the Exact same File back to the CNC does not work?

Possible missing Blank line 1st Line of program or maybe a % sign or the CR LF format for EOB

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    So, what you are saying is....No problem with CNC to PC..then transfer the Exact same File back to the CNC does not work?

Possible missing Blank line 1st Line of program or maybe a % sign or the CR LF format for EOB
    That's exactly what's happening. Program is correct, DNC settings are correct. From what I'm reading, I'm going to have to perform a loopback test to rule out anything on the PC side...

Thanks

...more information maybe help you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRU2fapLb9s

You can try taking a RS232 tester and put at the end of the cable between the CNC port and your DB25 connector. If your data is getting to the end of the cable on RD (Receive), then it's your CNC.
    Greg Mercurio -Shop Floor Automations
    www.shopfloorautomations.com /619-461-4000

Your port on the CNC maybe damaged, since you did say the RS232 hardware was fired. So maybe buy the RS232 tester, place at end of the cable, and confirm you see RD (receive data)being sent to the end of the cable. This confirms your PC comm port sends, via the cable, to the CNC. Once it hits your CNC, you then have to look at the board in the CNC - calling Haas Tech to fix it.

Keep in mind, if older Haas, there are two ports, DB25 on the machine. Plug into the top one.

Good Luck!

Greg Mercurio
    Shop Floor Automations
    www.shopfloorautomations.com
    Greg Mercurio
    Shop Floor Automations, Inc.
    www.shopfloorautomations.com
    (619) 461-4000 Tel