585,712 active members*
3,920 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Making a boring head

Due to boredom and having some spare aluminum and wanting to make some precision holes for an up coming CNC conversion I decided to make my own boring head. When I'm done it should be able to be adjusted accurate enough to .001". It will be able to be held in a 1/2" tool holder. When I get a chance to actually get the CAD drawings up I'll post pictures of them but here's some as it is now. The red dots on it are to give me an idea of where I want to put some upcoming holes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00001.JPG   IMG00002.JPG  

Very nice work!
    One thing to consider,the weight of the head and speed at which you will turn it,and whether or not 1/2 inch aluminum shank will be rigid enough.
    I'm assuming you are making 1/2 inch shank to fit a 1/2 inch holder?
    You might consider making the shank as large as your largest holder.
    You might also consider having it anodized when finished.
    I wish i still had the machine time to make tools like that,but i would be hung from the company sign and stoned.

I may move the diameter of the shaft up to 3/4". The way it's going to be used it's only going to be taking small cuts in soft material and it's a matter of being limited to a R8 collet for a holder. So far I've only been working on this in my free time such as left over lunch and breaks. All together i've maye put 1 1/2 hours into it at this stage mainly because it's still kind of evolving to make it more accurate.

I also made a boring head.

Please see the following URL for youru refer.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/homeshop-...ing_head-e.htm

Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by rigo430 View Post
    Due to boredom and having some spare aluminum and wanting to make some precision holes for an up coming CNC conversion I decided to make my own boring head. When I'm done it should be able to be adjusted accurate enough to .001". It will be able to be held in a 1/2" tool holder. When I get a chance to actually get the CAD drawings up I'll post pictures of them but here's some as it is now. The red dots on it are to give me an idea of where I want to put some upcoming holes.
    Boredom can be good sometimes.
    Drawings are always welcome!

Ishimura, that is an awesome piece of work. Very nice!

Another Boring Head

I designed and made a small Boring Head this one has no Dovetails or gibb's it also has an antibacklash nut..easy to make..so easy I made two. See pic's in the Photo Section.or click on these pic's for a slideshow