584,833 active members*
5,809 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC6040 Proposed mod

Hello,

I have thought of adding a set of reinforcement supported rails to my CNC6040 for the X-axis. Here is a picture of what I am thinking about.

I was going to just replace the unsupported rails, but then thought, why can I not just ADD supported rails. Missing from the picture would be the back plate I would make from a heavy piece of aluminum.

Any thoughts on why this would or wouldn't work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xAxis_rail_mod_1.jpg  

Re: CNC6040 Proposed mod

The picture did not show up in your post (probably because you don't have enough post count yet), but adding 2 more rails brings the problem of aligning them in the same plane. There is a good reason why most machines have exactly two rails on each axis, not three or four.

I was thinking of trying to reinforce my 6040 as well a few weeks ago. I was looking for 'the best result for the least amount of work' and I didn't find one.....
    It appeared to have the potential to spiral out of control, so I stopped. It was due to the way my Z axis was contructed with unsupported round rails, etc ( X61500GT )It would be nice to find a good solution.
    I want to use mine to cut plates for a future,larger, T slot machine.
    Keen to see your pics and see where your headed....

Post count? Shoot...

Well, just to clarify, my thought is two more rails, but out on the Y-axis. Not in the same plane. I could email somebody the picture, but perhaps alignment would still be an issue.

How many posts do I need?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xAxis_rail_mod_1.jpg  

Any luck with this?

Can you post pics yet?

I have seem some attempts to improve the X axis on these machines.
    I may look at this again. I have not inspected my machine yet, but I will look into fitting a 12mm thick Ali plate across the back sides of the Gantry plates and fit a single linear rail to it and attach it to the top of the Z axis.