584,833 active members*
5,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > Dmm Servo Spindle Setup Mach 3
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Dmm Servo Spindle Setup Mach 3

Quote Originally Posted by usmarine21m View Post
    nope, just got confused.
    Just wanna know how to set the servo up with mach 3, ess, and the dmm breakout board. I'm using a 2:1 gear ratio running dyn4 drives at 240v, so i'll be getting 6000 rpm. I want to be able to run the servo with mach 3 using m3 s#### codes
    I was hoping for a really simple explanation of what I needed to do to get it working right.

USMarine, I have a similar setup and will be doing the same thing soon. I did some research to ensure that I'll be able to rigid tap, and get the full value from the Servo spindle. The best method that I have found is not to use the typical SwapAxis method, but rather simply using BOTH the Spindle step/dir pins and the A-axis step/dir pins both set to the same output ports/pins in Mach3. The wiring will be just as you did XYZ with step/dir wires feeding from your BOB to the DMM driver's pins 11 & 22 (5V) and pins 10 and 23 (output pins from your BOB) . When you need to tap, you'll use A axis G-code.There is a video on Youtube demonstrating this method, and it appears to work well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAwoXs2c6GY

There may be better methods, but this is the best I've stumbled across and what I plan to use once I have time to finish up the servo spindle motor mounts, etc. Chime back if you find a better method, many of us would appreciate the guidance.

-Mike

Here's what I got so far for mounting servo Attachment 433040

tried rotating pic but when I posted its sideways again
    Apologies for for any neck pain that may occur

So I plug in the cable from the dyn4 drive into A axis on the breakout board?
    From what I understand on page 9 http://www.dmm-tech.com/Files/DMB425...tVer010106.pdf
    A axis dir is pin 8 and A axis stp is pin 9?
    So I go to configure ports and pins in mach 3 and say spindle is those ports and pins and also A axis?
    Is there anything else I need to do to have mach 3 be able to start and run spindle with m3 s#### command?
    Have you figured out what needs to be done in the Dyn4 drive tuning software? The gear # and other settings?

Thanks for your informative post

So I plug in the cable from the dyn4 drive into A axis on the breakout board?
    From what I understand on page 9 http://www.dmm-tech.com/Files/DMB425...tVer010106.pdf
    A axis dir is pin 8 and A axis stp is pin 9?
    So I go to configure ports and pins in mach 3 and say spindle is those ports and pins and also A axis?
    Is there anything else I need to do to have mach 3 be able to start and run spindle with m3 s#### command?
    Have you figured out what needs to be done in the Dyn4 drive tuning software? The gear # and other settings?

Thanks for your informative post

Not the same servo but similar set up. Did you find a way to control the spindle with m3sxxx command? I see many tips with its easy use step/dir but no one thst shows free pics and give a full answer to understand how to do you actually control this servo spindle... The more I read, the more I get confused. :-(

I figured out how to get it to work.

-I got another DMM breakout board
    -Attached ribbon cable from ESS port 3 to dmm BOB
    -connected cable going from Dyn4 drive to X axis connector plug on new dmm BOB.
    -Set port and pins for spindle to port 3 pin ( whatever the dmm bob pins are for step and direction for x axis)
    -To get the rpm to be correct I had to go to motor tuning in mach 3 and adjust that acc/velocity graph.
    -There a couple things I think I had to also change in ess config page in mach 3
    - Also was able to connect a cnc4pc pulse indexer to c10 bob so mach 3 can show rpm.

Tomorrow I can take pics of relevant screens

I figured out how to get it to work.

-I got another DMM breakout board
    -Attached ribbon cable from ESS port 3 to dmm BOB
    -connected cable going from Dyn4 drive to X axis connector plug on new dmm BOB.
    -Set port and pins for spindle to port 3 pin ( whatever the dmm bob pins are for step and direction for x axis)
    -To get the rpm to be correct I had to go to motor tuning in mach 3 and adjust that acc/velocity graph.
    -There a couple things I think I had to also change in ess config page in mach 3
    - Also was able to connect a cnc4pc pulse indexer to c10 bob so mach 3 can show rpm.

Tomorrow I can take pics of relevant screens
    Cool glad you got it figured out look forward to seeing your configuration I'm sure it will help someone else
    Mactec54

Attachment 437898
    pulley ratio is 2:1 or 1:2 I for got how that goes... (pulley on servo motor is twice the size of pulley on spindle)
    Attachment 437900
    Attachment 437902
    Attachment 437904
    Attachment 437906

Under dmm bob in center is another dmm bob, and under that is the ESS
    Attachment 437908

Here's what I got so far for mounting servo Attachment 433040

tried rotating pic but when I posted its sideways again
    Apologies for for any neck pain that may occur
    What is you Timing Pulley Ratio
    Mactec54

I put what is in what I just posted. 5mm gt2 timing pulley, 60 teeth for the one connected to the servo motor, 30 teeth for the one on spindle

I put what is in what I just posted. 5mm gt2 timing pulley, 60 teeth for the one connected to the servo motor, 30 teeth for the one on spindle
    Ok so the way you have it that is 1:2 one rotation of the motor moves the spindle two rotations
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Ok so the way you have it that is 1:2 one rotation of the motor moves the spindle two rotations
    Yup

I also ended up getting a servo Motor with a brake for my z axis because of heavy spindle servo. Head would drop when powered down

Page 2 of 2 12