584,841 active members*
4,312 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > Dmm Servo Spindle Setup Mach 3
Page 1 of 2 12

Dmm Servo Spindle Setup Mach 3

Its been a long time since I've retrofitted my G0704 with Dmm Servos. It has been working perfectly fine and haven't had to set anything up since I first installed it. I got one of their large servo motors to use as a spindle when I get around to it or my stock motor dies. Needless to say it sounds like its time to be put to rest and replaced with the ac servo.

I am using ESS and Mach 3

The wiring I shouldn't have any problem with, but setting it up software wise to work with mach 3 to use as a spindle I got no clue.

Any help is much appreciated

Re: Dmm Servo Spindle Setup Mach 3

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I'm still in the going to get to it stage. My concern is the high minimum step count, combined with the high speed of the spindle and no ess. Dmm said that they could write firmware to lower step count.

Quote Originally Posted by HCE View Post
    I'm still in the going to get to it stage. My concern is the high minimum step count, combined with the high speed of the spindle and no ess. Dmm said that they could write firmware to lower step count.
    Others are using the same servo motor as you are and I don't think anyone has had a problem of reaching max motor speed you can work with the drive gearing to lower the step rate
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Others are using the same servo motor as you are and I don't think anyone has had a problem of reaching max motor speed you can work with the drive gearing to lower the step rate
    Seems there are a few that have started with the step and direction option, kind of get working, and end up using the analog input route via a pwm to analog convertor.
    2000 steps per rev is the lowest electronic gearing allows.

The minimum step count / rev is 500 (Gear Number), so at the max speed of 3000 RPM (50 rev/sec) would be 25,000 steps/sec. Given the limitations of Mach3, new firmware might be a good plan. It's my understanding that Mach3 is good for 25K to 100K steps/sec depending on your computer.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

2000 steps per rev is the lowest electronic gearing allows.

I think that depends on which firmware rev. you have, the newer systems are 500 minimum. All of the ones that I have bought in the last 1.5 years have been 500 minimum.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I think that depends on which firmware rev. you have, the newer systems are 500 minimum. All of the ones that I have bought in the last 1.5 years have been 500 minimum.
    Maybe I am reading the instructions wrong or theses are old instructions, but I understand 500 to be gear number.

Electronic Gearing ( GEAR_NUM Parameter )
    Gear number (Gear_Num) is set from 500 to 16,384, default value is 4,096. Gear number provides an
    electrical gear ratio: 4096 / Gear_Num, from 0.25 ~ 8.192. For example, if Gear number = 4,096, then
    16,384 input counts from pulse will turn motor exactly one revolution. If Gear number = 500, 2,000 pulses
    will turn motor one revolution. Gear number parameter is only applicable to position servo mode.

Maybe I am reading the instructions wrong or theses are old instructions, but I understand 500 to be gear number.

Electronic Gearing ( GEAR_NUM Parameter )
    Gear number (Gear_Num) is set from 500 to 16,384, default value is 4,096. Gear number provides an
    electrical gear ratio: 4096 / Gear_Num, from 0.25 ~ 8.192. For example, if Gear number = 4,096, then
    16,384 input counts from pulse will turn motor exactly one revolution. If Gear number = 500, 2,000 pulses
    will turn motor one revolution. Gear number parameter is only applicable to position servo mode.
    I stand corrected. You are correct. I misunderstood the manual.

I've never actually tried to run one of DMM servos with Mach3. The only step & direction install I have done was using a high speed motion controller, good for 3MHz step output, so no problems. All of the others were analog control.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I was hoping someone could tell me what settings I need to put in for the dmmdrv tuning software, ess plugin settings, and what i need to do exactly in mach 3. Basically a setup for dummies.. I read Gerry's post, but are there other things that need to be checked or unchecked etc. in mach 3?

I'll check Gerry's post to see if there's anything else I can do.
    Greetings.

I'll check Gerry's post to see if there's anything else I can do.
    Greetings.

Jerome
    ---------
    Expert in dc motor speed control at Kelvin

The minimum step count / rev is 500 (Gear Number), so at the max speed of 3000 RPM (50 rev/sec) would be 25,000 steps/sec. Given the limitations of Mach3, new firmware might be a good plan. It's my understanding that Mach3 is good for 25K to 100K steps/sec depending on your computer.
    It has nothing to do with Mach3 when you are using a SmoothStepper even with a UC100 he can have a 100K SmoothStepper he can be set up to 4Mhz so does not need any firmware changed to get the max from his motor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Step Rate 4Mhz.PNG  
    Mactec54

I stand corrected. You are correct. I misunderstood the manual.

I've never actually tried to run one of DMM servos with Mach3. The only step & direction install I have done was using a high speed motion controller, good for 3MHz step output, so no problems. All of the others were analog control.
    The Smooth Stepper he is using is good for 4MHz so he will have not problem with any speed of his motor
    Mactec54

They have always been 500 from day one
    Mactec54

Have you read through the smoothstepper documentation. It looks pretty straight forward and step by step. https://warp9td.com/index.php/gettin...epper-and-mach
    The other thing is you will need to set the DMM software to step and direction, and probably be good idea to set the gear number to 500 to net 2000 steps per rev.
    What DMM servo are you running there is a 3000 and 5000 rpm version rated at 750 watt?

Have you read through the smoothstepper documentation. It looks pretty straight forward and step by step. https://warp9td.com/index.php/gettin...epper-and-mach
    The other thing is you will need to set the DMM software to step and direction, and probably be good idea to set the gear number to 500 to net 2000 steps per rev.
    What DMM servo are you running there is a 3000 and 5000 rpm version rated at 750 watt?
    Most usually use the 1.8Kw motor which is 3000 max anything below 1Kw would not be much good as a spindle motor
    Mactec54

Did you end up getting this sorted out? Im running an almost identical setup and might be able to shed some light on settings

Quote Originally Posted by Danno11 View Post
    Did you end up getting this sorted out? Im running an almost identical setup and might be able to shed some light on settings
    It is always good to post what you have done, even if it is a different setup there will be someone that it will help or give them and idea of where / how to start
    Mactec54

nope, just got confused.
    Just wanna know how to set the servo up with mach 3, ess, and the dmm breakout board. I'm using a 2:1 gear ratio running dyn4 drives at 240v, so i'll be getting 6000 rpm. I want to be able to run the servo with mach 3 using m3 s#### codes
    I was hoping for a really simple explanation of what I needed to do to get it working right.

Page 1 of 2 12