584,865 active members*
4,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > LB15 5000L-G Sudden Loss of Comms strange

LB15 5000L-G Sudden Loss of Comms strange

I have an LB15 with 5000L-G controller.

The machine has been working well after a fairly extensive repair due to nearly 10 years being dormant!

I had the machine communicating well using a 32bit Windows 7 PC and DNC6 software.
    I was able to use COM1 and even got one of those cheap USB to Serial converters working!

That was a few months ago. Then all all of a sudden on a new days start up, I began having trouble sending programs to the lathe.
    The files would appear to be sending and were even initiated at the lathe by pressing (PIP) (READ) NAME,CN0: (WRITE)
    But shortly after an error would show on the CRT, "2561 RS232C READY INTERRUPT TIMEOUT ERROR"

The lathe for short while could send to the PC but now that wont work.
    I tripple checked the cable, its fine.

Any ideas where to start?

Re: LB15 5000L-G Sudden Loss of Comms strange

I would take the osciloscope and see what's happening on RS232.

Thanks Algirdis, Unfortunately I dont have one of those!
    But I can confirm that the same PC using the same port will send to my Heidehain mill just fine. So the PC is at least known to be sending data albeit to another machine.

The cable is ok, it worked before and checks out fine on continuity tests. Its only new.

Would you agree that there is a higher probability that its a machine issue, ie theRS232 board? I think I have a spare in my junk pile from an LC20, I'll swap and try it out.

The first to check is the RS232 module, sure. I would check OSP to PC sending first, because that's simple and quick.

Your not unplugging the cable with the machine on are you? Thats a good way to wipe out the rs232 port on a 5000. The error simply means it times out waiting for data. You are using a null modem no handshake cable or hardwire handshake cable?

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Your not unplugging the cable with the machine on are you? Thats a good way to wipe out the rs232 port on a 5000. The error simply means it times out waiting for data. You are using a null modem no handshake cable or hardwire handshake cable?
    Yes I know of the potential dangers of pulling the cable while switched on. Cable was connected the whole time, wasn't pulled.
    The cable is the same I've always used on this lathe and worked fine in the past. Even so I did check it for continuity. All good there. The cable is ok.

I will state here that I can in fact receive from the machine to the pc just fine! (PIP) (PUNCH) A123,CN0: works fine.

Its the other way that has suddenly stop ie, (PIP) (READ) ,CN0: when this is done on the Okuma the data on the PC starts to be send as normal, but on the Okuma after say 30 seconds it comes up with the "RS232 time out error".

Also I have some spares and changed the board shown here. Same issue persists. Exactly the same time out error.

I tested the com port on another machine, a Heidenhain, it works fine both ways. So the PC port is working.

The only thing I recall doing before the issue started was plugged a new USB stick into the PC and the drivers had to install.

I measured the voltage across pins 2 and 7 on the 25 pin. These are the wires you see hanging. measures -9.99 volts which Im told is correct.

Other pics may shed some light with the experts here.

Many thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AAA-3200.jpg   BBB-3200.jpg   CC2-3200.jpg   CCC-3200.jpg  

DDD-3200.jpg   FF2-3200.jpg   GGG-3200.jpg  

I fred my main card 3 because I had a ****ty cable. They are very easy to mess up.

I grabbed a working card for around 150 bucks on eBay and not the machine transfers fine again.

Sendt fra min EML-L29 med Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nikolaiownz View Post
    I fred my main card 3 because I had a ****ty cable. They are very easy to mess up.

I grabbed a working card for around 150 bucks on eBay and not the machine transfers fine again.

Yes I hear what you're saying, I have three main card 3 here the original from the LB15, one from an LS30-N (green screen) and another from an LC-20 (green screen). The later two seem to share the same part number and certainly do fit the LB15.

Could all three be faulty? Or are they not cross compatible? You can see how a simpleton like me who relies purely on probability is dong his head in HAHAHA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rotec View Post
    Yes I hear what you're saying, I have three main card 3 here the original from the LB15, one from an LS30-N (green screen) and another from an LC-20 (green screen). The later two seem to share the same part number and certainly do fit the LB15.

Could all three be faulty? Or are they not cross compatible? You can see how a simpleton like me who relies purely on probability is dong his head in HAHAHA!!!!
    There is 3 versions of the main card 3 I use. A B C. Mine had a A in it but the card o put in was a C so I think all thoes a compatible in mine