584,865 active members*
4,788 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Options for vac table pump

Hello!
    I've been running a small CNC and a larger laser, and am in the process of setting up a 1mx1m CNC.
    Am looking at a vac table build for it, and researching I have found random, conflicting advice, mostly due to the lack of specifics when folk are talking...
    Shop vac, noooo big pump, nooo, ect.

So. Here is what I need it for.
    Thin ply and MDF, (couple mm), the stuff that generally won't lay flat on its own.

On my laser I use magnets and weights, and works perfectly. But obviously, a CNC will have a spill board, so magnets less effective, weights don't have much clamping force really.

Making the vac board is not an issue, will be sealed apart from direction needed.

Was planning on spill board with holes style rather than through MDF style, (as through will require more power)

So... What pump solution would work?
    Notes.
    Not expecting to be cutting rediculous speeds, parts will generally be fairly simple but not small, (laser good for that)
    Clamps can be used at sides to secure material from sideways motion.

Will a shop vac solution be enough to flatten material? (Clamps to help secure lateral movement)

Re: Options for vac table pump

Have you seen this sort of thing? https://www.m-powertools.com/vaccum-clamping Trend used to make something like it as an accessory and it allowed routing without fouling and clamps.The possible problems would be the force generated and the size of the individual cells.A small cell will only have a fairly low amount of force holding the job in place but when I used the Trend tables in the past with a hand router it was OK with pieces of 250mmX150mm.The other problem might be the thickness of the gasket allowing extremely thin material to bow across the cell.Maybe thinner gasket would work.

The reason you get so many answers is because there are so many possibilities that any one could be the right solution. At the very best you only get the atmospheric pressure per square inch and that only if your pump can pump down into the millitorr range. Lower performance pumping solutions mean even less clamping pressure.

So how low of a vacuum you can pull gives you the ultimate clamping force you have. But here is the big problem losses in the system can have a big impact. So a pump like a vacuum cleaner, that moves a lot of air, can be an advantage in a high loss situation. How lossy your system will be depends on a number of factors.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    Have you seen this sort of thing? https://www.m-powertools.com/vaccum-clamping Trend used to make something like it as an accessory and it allowed routing without fouling and clamps.The possible problems would be the force generated and the size of the individual cells.A small cell will only have a fairly low amount of force holding the job in place but when I used the Trend tables in the past with a hand router it was OK with pieces of 250mmX150mm.The other problem might be the thickness of the gasket allowing extremely thin material to bow across the cell.Maybe thinner gasket would work.
    This looks interesting. I want to build a vac-table and these might be a solution. But, how does it hold up in a "sawdusty" environment? I see 2 potential issues - gasket material and valves. In theory, the vacuum would clear the valves but I could see some larger debris causing them not to close. The gasket material might load up with dust and degrade over time.