585,761 active members*
4,045 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Proxxon MF70 vs. Taig vs. Sieg X1 vs. Sieg X2

Question Proxxon MF70 vs. Taig vs. Sieg X1 vs. Sieg X2

Hello everybody!

This is my first post here, after being an anonymous reader for some time

Background: I am a software engineer living in Germany with minor background in 2D CAD design, but want to plunge into machining small parts using CNC technology and a hobby and later who knows.

I am considering sometime in 2020 to buy my first machine.

I will be machining mostly Aluminum, and some mild steel parts.

I was looking into the following options (from the cheapest to the more expensive):

1. Proxxon MF70 + CNC Conversion kit.

2. Sieg SX1 + CNC Conversion kit (butso far could not find a ready-made kit to buy.. anyone?)

2. Taig CNC-Ready micro mill with ball-screws + Stepper motors, drivers and control box kit.

3. Sieg SX2P + CNC Conversion kit + Stepper motors, drivers and control box kit.

About the Proxxon, yes I have read many people say it's only for plastic and wood, but is it true? should this machine even be considered in this consideration list?

I guess that the Sieg X1 is a step-up from the Proxxon, but less robust in compare to the Taig and the SX2P ?

Then comes the next question, what's the difference between a converted Sieg SX2P and a Taig micro mill CNC with the ball-screws ?

I will be modeling small mechanical parts such as model engine machinist parts, and need pretty good precision - not something like .001 ?

I plan to use FreeCAD (at least currently I can not afford SW, and Fusion 360 on the cloud - I don't like licensed software that is on the cloud which to me means that I don't really have a permanent license )

I should also mention that another parameter is that I live in Europe, so probably to get a Taig will add-up import frees and such.

(I hope I did not forget any info, if I did - I will add it briefly)

Any input will be much appreciated.

Best Regards

Re: Proxxon MF70 vs. Taig vs. Sieg X1 vs. Sieg X2

Quote Originally Posted by mechhead35 View Post
    Hello everybody!

About the Proxxon, yes I have read many people say it's only for plastic and wood, but is it true? should this machine even be considered in this consideration list?

I have a Proxxon MF70 that I am converting it to CNC. My expectations ... based on my manual use of the mill ... are wood, plastic and aluminum with a great deal of patience as incredibly low feed rates will be necessary, and rational thought related to its significant size and rigidity constraints being applied. Mild steel is, IMHO, a non-starter. However, I want to experiment with CNC and using relatively easy to acquire steppers and mounts, the Protoneer Hat on top of a Raspberry Pi and the ubiquitous Pololu Drivers I am on the way to learning CNC and expected "breaking stuff" without having to spend a lot of money.

I can not comment on the SX1 or the Taig but do have the Harbor Freight clone of the SX2, again not CNC but used manually. That is suitable, with the correct application of common sense and patience, for aluminum and mild steel.

Just my thoughts,
    Arvid