585,754 active members*
4,393 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > The truth about skateboard ball bearings
Page 2 of 2 12
    Yeah, those CNC machines make the wear put on by skating look like a minor blemish

I am thinking skating is harder on the bearings than cnc is. Generally, with home made cnc you never put 200+ lb load on the bearings.
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Did you not catch the wink at the end of my ridiculous statement? I'm not that much of a moron!

i played roller hockey and skated ALOT for years. i have gone through dozens of sets of bearigns.. when i was younger, like 13(24 now), abec 3s were still expensive, like $50. Abec5s were around 80, and i cant remeber seeing anything like 7s. These were of a generally higher quality than the ones i see now. these were often marketed as high-quality skate bearings.

as for loads put on skate bearings - I GUARNTEE an active skateboarder or rollerblader puts FAR more abuse on these things than even a large MDF CNC machine that is used constantly. in my case, imagine a 130lb load rapidly smashed agaisnt your bearings, constantly for 4 to 6 hours at a time, all with random angles, high velocities, etc.

I trashed a pair of bearings in 2 months once; playing league hockey, and doing lots of skating for fun\practice. i feel like
    I have vast experience with these bearings. some are very good quality, some are not. the abec rating cannot be taken seriousely anymore. i have some abec5 stamped bearings that are subpar for any abec rating. i think there is lots of "piracy" of molds and dies in this particular industry because what was once a niche market - high end barings for sproting goods, is now much mich bigger market. some bearings seem like their parts were made much better than others.

i recall looking at an abec chart and thinking "these are more concerned with how accurately the bearings are manufactured than the overall accuracy or quality of the product.

i am convinced some bearings currently marked as "abec5" are not quality. and some are. some seem to be very good.
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

Life

I think at the end of the day it comes down to bottom line. Everyone wants a deal and how cheep can i get something. U can get good linear bearings but we dont want to pay the money as most do this as a hobby. In my case i am looking at pcb(printed circuit board drilling). Right now to the facts

Igus bearings plastic insterts got some samples from the uk chaps. All o.k but for one which was cracked.. Mmmmmmm £5 each ish 12mm and 16mm Mmmmmmmmmm has some resistance.

Looked at some linear bearings on ebay from the states. Yeah for four a good price i give the guy that but getting then to the uk a bit of a pain.

The skateboard bearings i got from the norwich chaps. These i am going to play with. In my case not a lot of resistance unlike the igus inserts. Runs easyer so i am going with these. The downside on these i only got ones which seem to have a nats of oil from the sides. I rearly should have got the oil sealed version.

The skateboard bearings i am going to play with a pain up the bum to allign in the design i am looking at were as the igus would have been simpler.

I think if i was wood routing i would proberly bite the cost and go for linear bearings.

The cost...
    Well if your like me and doing the hobby thing then well i cant afford too much.
    However...
    If i was wood routing for cash etc then cost dosnt come into it.
    U do pay for what u get.....

Glen

Glen

Page 2 of 2 12