585,758 active members*
4,572 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Help wiring ATC Please Help.

I hope you all are doing well.I am currently upgrading my cnc with the Acorn Controller. The CNC had an ATC fully functional prior to my upgrade.

I have successfully traced all the wire leading from the machine to the cabinet.Because of my limited knowledge i find it have to make these connections. I am here asking for anyone who have successfully wiring up ATC or have any knowledge to assist if possible. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

These are the things I have that make up my ATC.

I have two pneumatic solenoid valves 24Vdc. Each has 2 wires, for a total of 4 fires. I don't know how or where to connect them.

I have a TDA 20-80 pneumatic cylinder with KT11R Air Pneumatic Cylinder Magnetic Reed Switch Sensor. Which has two wires, 5-24vdc. I don’t really know the purpose of this, but I believe it makes sense when my dust boots is up or down. I don't know how or where to connect them.

And my HQD GDL60-24Z/6.0 spindle. With seven terminal inputs per GDL60-24Z6.0 Pin-out.

Terminal 1 Tool Ejection (PNP Relay No.)
    Terminal 2 for Tool Clamp (PNP Relay No.)

Terminal 4 for +24VDC for both Terminals 1 and 2

Terminal 5 for 0VDC for both Terminals 1 and 2

Terminal 6 Signal output +24VDC for button light (I suspect this is for the push button on the side for tool ejection and “clamping?

Terminal 7 for Spindle Fan +24VDC

Terminal 8 for spindle fan 0Vdc

I will be using the relay in the attached picture.

Please look at the attack picture.

My question is: Based on the spindle pin out document, the only input that requires this relay will be Terminals 1 and 2.

For what it is worth, my spindle has an air blow that blows once the tool is out of the spindle as well as small air when in operation.

I just need to know how to make the physical connections so I can work my way through the programming.

I have looked everywhere for information and guidance, but to no avail. Please help.

Any input will be greatly appreciated

Re: Need Help wiring ATC Please Help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrencel525 View Post
    I hope you all are doing well.I am currently upgrading my cnc with the Acorn Controller. The CNC had an ATC fully functional prior to my upgrade.

I have successfully traced all the wire leading from the machine to the cabinet.Because of my limited knowledge i find it have to make these connections. I am here asking for anyone who have successfully wiring up ATC or have any knowledge to assist if possible. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

These are the things I have that make up my ATC.

I have two pneumatic solenoid valves 24Vdc. Each has 2 wires, for a total of 4 fires. I don't know how or where to connect them.

I have a TDA 20-80 pneumatic cylinder with KT11R Air Pneumatic Cylinder Magnetic Reed Switch Sensor. Which has two wires, 5-24vdc. I don’t really know the purpose of this, but I believe it makes sense when my dust boots is up or down. I don't know how or where to connect them.

And my HQD GDL60-24Z/6.0 spindle. With seven terminal inputs per GDL60-24Z6.0 Pin-out.

Terminal 6 Signal output +24VDC for button light (I suspect this is for the push button on the side for tool ejection and “clamping?

I will be using the relay in the attached picture.

Please look at the attack picture.

My question is: Based on the spindle pin out document, the only input that requires this relay will be Terminals 1 and 2.

For what it is worth, my spindle has an air blow that blows once the tool is out of the spindle as well as small air when in operation.

I just need to know how to make the physical connections so I can work my way through the programming.

I have looked everywhere for information and guidance, but to no avail. Please help.

Any input will be greatly appreciated

You will need the relay bank for the Acorn. You might also need they additional I/O because by default there are only eight outputs. The magnetic reed switches will get wired to inputs so it knows when the cylinders are activated during tool changes. Only have my phone will provide more detail when I am at my pc where it is easier to type

Thanks for your response. I appreciate the time you took to reply to my questions. Please bear with me if you find me asking too many questions. This is my first time trying anything of this nature. I have a total of 16 inputs on board. I am just not clear as to how to wire up the required terminal inputs from the spindle to the solenoid. From your reply, I now know that the magnetic reed switch will be wired to an input on Acorn. But how...? Does the reed switch have to be wired to the solenoid through a relay and then to the input?

I'll patiently await your reply. Thanks in advance again.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    You will need the relay bank for the Acorn. You might also need they additional I/O because by default there are only eight outputs. The magnetic reed switches will get wired to inputs so it knows when the cylinders are activated during tool changes. Only have my phone will provide more detail when I am at my pc where it is easier to type
    Thanks for your response. I appreciate the time you took to reply to my questions. Please bear with me if you find me asking too many questions. This is my first time trying anything of this nature. I have a total of 16 inputs on board. I am just not clear as to how to wire up the required terminal inputs from the spindle to the solenoid. From your reply, I now know that the magnetic reed switch will be wired to an input on Acorn. But how...? Does the reed switch have to be wired to the solenoid through a relay and then to the input?

...hi, could you post the manual for your Acorn unit?...and any other manuals needed.

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...hi, could you post the manual for your Acorn unit?...and any other manuals needed.

DJ

The manual for the Acorn CNC board is on Dynomotion.com web site.

Lawrence525,
    Do you have the manual for your spindle motor? The reed switches are mostly like two wires per switch. This means you would connect 5V to one lead and the other lead would be wired as an input. This way when the reed switch is activated the input port will see 5V on that input. When the reed switch deactivates the input port will see no voltage. Sounds like you have the newer Acorn board that has 16 inputs which is nice. You need to check your specific input ports and see if they are pulled up high or low. If they are pulled up high already you would connect ground to one side of the reed switch and the other side would go to the input port. If the input port is pulled low then you would use the 5V solution.

When I look at your spindle manual I can determine the correct approach.

I will also look in my Acorn manual, but this is not real difficult.

These will be connected to the relays on the Acorn. One relay for each solenoid valve. The Acorn is normally powered by 24V and the manual shows you how to connect a typical load to the relay. Check the load current for the solenoid valves, if this is under 1 amp you are probably fine. CHeck the specs on the Acorn relay, but I think they can handle 5A if I recall correctly.

The reed switches tell the software when the cylinder is activated. These will connect to an input on the Acorn. You said two wires 5-24V, normally reed switches do no require voltage, they act just like a wall switch they turn on and off when a magnet on the solenoid gets in the right position. They allow a small amount of current to flow, normally 1A or less.

I need to look at the manual but my guess is 24V to this terminal will eject and release the tool in the spindle. This can be controlled by an Acorn output relay.

I need to look at the manual but my guess is 24V to this terminal will lock the new tool holder in the spindle. This can be controlled by an Acorn output relay.

This sounds like the 24V terminal that the power supply connects to and it get run through an Acorn relay to provide power to the internal spindle relay for those two functions.

This is the ground terminal for the 24V power supply.

Need to look at the manual on this one, but most of these spindles do have a button you can press to release the tool holder manually when you are not using the ATC functionally.

this is the +24VDC that is used to power the cooling fan.

This the ground side of the 24VDC power supply that powers the fan.

https://vallder.com/en/c/cnc-spindle...24z-6kw-detail

This link shows the spindle and the terminals. Still looking for the detailed manual. Keep in mind to never power up this spindle using the spindle drive (VFD) before it is programmed with all the specific information on your exact spindle. If you get these wrong you can burn out the brand new spindle in less than a minute. All the critical parameters will be in the spindle and driver manuals.

file:///C:/Users/Russ/Downloads/GDL60-30-24Z-6.0-380V-Connection-method.pdf

this is the typical wiring diagram, but still no full manual yet.

Little more detail. It shows the first two terminals are sensor outputs, which means they do go to inputs on the Acorn. They tell you the spindle uses PNP transistors for this switched output and it is normally open when not activated. So when it activates it pulls these terminals low. S1 and S2 go to two Acorn inputs of your choice. One tells you the tool is released for ejection and the other tells you the tool holder has been clamped and ready for use.

My guess is this spindle requires a 24VDC supply unless the VFD has a dedicated 24VDC supply for use by the spindle.

1 Sensor S2 (tool ejection) output (PNP NO normally opened)
    2 Sensor S1 (tool locking) output (PNP NO normally opened)
    3 Not used 3 W2 connecting to phase W of frequency converter
    4 +24V DC power supply to S1 and S2
    5 +0V power supply for S1, S2 and button light
    6 Signal output +24V of Pin C for button switch
    7 24V DC 0.75A DC cooling fan (red line)
    8 0V DC 0.75A DC cooling fan (black line)

Details on the Air Supply and how it controls things.

Air Distribution

GDL60 30 24Z air

The main solenoid valve links with the main switch of machine tool, and the ventilation shall be The main solenoid valve links with the main switch of machine tool, and the ventilation shall be carried out once the machine tool is started.
    The normally open air circuit of the dual-position five-way single electronically controlled solenoid valve is connected to the air seal, and the normally close air circuit is connected to the tool-changing. When the motorized spindle completely stops, the power-on normally close air circuit of the tool-changing solenoid valve is connected to the cylinder for the tool-changing, the cylinder is actuated to complete the tool changing while completing the tool-changing and dust removal. At this time, the air seal is closed. After the new tool handle enters the tapered hole of the spindle, the tool-changing solenoid valve is powered off to cut off the air inlet, and then air pipe is connected to the atmosphere. At this time, the air circuit is ventilated, the cylinder resets the spindle to lock the new tool handle, and the tool-changing operation is completed.
    The tool-changing pressure shall be stable. Otherwise, it is easy to cause that the tool-changing signal is in stable.
    The button switch is directly used to control the dual-position five-way single electronically controlled solenoid valve for the manual tool-changing.
    The proximity switch, tool-removal solenoid valve and the tool magazine work with the control system for the automatic tool-changing.
    The manual or automatic tool-changing can be carried out only when the motorized spindle stops completely. The manual or automatic tool-changing will be invalid when the motorized spindle rotates.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/28...page=13#manual

This is a link to one of these spindles just a little larger, but my guess is most of the manual is the same.
    What voltage is your spindle?

Thank you for the help thus far. The CNC is being upgraded from a RichAuto 5-axis controller to an Acorn 6. All the previous wires from the old controller are still in the machine. The VFD has already been programmed with the correct parameters. I had lost help from a kind gentleman who has been helping. I started feeling ashamed to continue asking for help and never be in the position of giving back, even though he never complained.

Since wiring an ATC is a new concept to me, I wanted to understand it as well as be able to connect mine and have it working again.

My spindle is a 220 VAC but uses a dedicated 0–10 Vd analog out from Acorn to power up the spindle within the Acorn VCP. I don’t know if I am explaining this correctly. I have attached a schematic that makes sense to me for how I have my VFD wired. Hopefully, that can clear up the question concerning the spindle voltage. You are correct concerning the reed switch not requiring voltage.

I found some schematics on the Centroid link: https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid.../pbrowse.php#b. I just don’t know which one to follow, given that my setup is a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrencel525 View Post
    Thank you for the help thus far. The CNC is being upgraded from a RichAuto 5-axis controller to an Acorn 6. All the previous wires from the old controller are still in the machine. The VFD has already been programmed with the correct parameters. I had lost help from a kind gentleman who has been helping. I started feeling ashamed to continue asking for help and never be in the position of giving back, even though he never complained.

Since wiring an ATC is a new concept to me, I wanted to understand it as well as be able to connect mine and have it working again.

My spindle is a 220 VAC but uses a dedicated 0–10 Vd analog out from Acorn to power up the spindle within the Acorn VCP. I don’t know if I am explaining this correctly. I have attached a schematic that makes sense to me for how I have my VFD wired. Hopefully, that can clear up the question concerning the spindle voltage. You are correct concerning the reed switch not requiring voltage.

I found some schematics on the Centroid link: https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid.../pbrowse.php#b. I just don’t know which one to follow, given that my setup is a little different.

These diagrams are correct and the VFD interface in your case will be the same. The interface to Richauto and Centroid would be almost exact. Do you have the VFD model number, maybe you already provided it. The VFD programming will not change so you are good on that front