585,712 active members*
4,329 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Engraving tool style

Hi All

I saw this tool in an advert I received from Harvey tool, and thought is looked like it would leave a nice engraving tool path, but also thought it looked delicate as heck.

I was just curious if anyone had any experience with this, or a similarly shaped tool?

Terry

Re: Engraving tool style

and thought is looked like it would leave a nice engraving tool path, but also thought it looked delicate as heck.
    It will, and it probably is. I've not used that particular bit, but I have used bits that are typically used for PCB routing - and at small sizes, yes, they are quite delicate. A "V" style bit will be much tougher, but obviously leaves a different cut path.

Most of my engraving is on mild steel. I tried the v-points but I found the Kyocera 1/32” 4-fl Bn stub endmills work the best for me and holds up longer than v-points.
    Plus the edges are not as pronounced and it takes less time de-burr/tumbling

If you are using it on aluminum you may want to use v-points

QUOTE=MFchief;2328650]Hi All

I saw this tool in an advert I received from Harvey tool, and thought is looked like it would leave a nice engraving tool path, but also thought it looked delicate as heck.

I was just curious if anyone had any experience with this, or a similarly shaped tool?

Terry[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Hi All

Terry
    Never used one, but if it's Harvey, probably works great.
    I use a .125 ball mill .005 deep. Looks real nice if you don't need tiny letters.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    Never used one, but if it's Harvey, probably works great.
    I use a .125 ball mill .005 deep. Looks real nice if you don't need tiny letters.
    Good idea, I was just setting up some new parts and was using a v bit like mentioned above. This might be a little smoother looking for this model. Then again I might skip those ops and just do the lettering in conversational. I don't always like the text I can draw and import into cam models. But still experiment with small ball end mills - depth/path and font for something I like.

I think I will give one a try, Harvey does have a good reputation, and I can get one for about $23.00 Only down side I see, other that delicacy, is they only cut one width so if you do a lot of different size engravings, it would add up quickly.

Terry