585,752 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Win 98 and xp

I'm trying to network my win98 laptop to my xp media ed. pc. I used the network disk that the xp wizard makes for you in the 98 box. On the xp box I can see the win98, and access all of the shared resources, and dump files onto it. The problem is from the 98 box can't see the xp box, and yes sharing is on.

Even when I put a shortcut from the xp box (drag and drop onto the descktop) onto my 98 box it doesn't go through when you select it.

This is really starting to annoy me!!!
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Win 98 and xp

Win98 runs on Fat32 whilst XP runs NTFS. XP can read Fat32 but Win98 is not able to read NTFS.

I'm not sure that the file system used on the different OS makes the difference. I've got an old Win98 machine (FAT32) networked (wireless) with an XP machine using NTFS.

I think Win98 always needed the computers to be in the same workgroup, not sure if XP can see machines in other workgroups, it might be able to. If the correct folders are being shared, and you have no added complexity like password protected folders, I don't know what else would be missing.

Can you 'search the network neighbourhood' to find the other machine? Sometimes a search is all that is required to get a two-way street established.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

My machines are in the same workgroup. I'm not using any passwords on the folders. I've also searched the network neighbourhood, with no luck.

I spent most of Saturday afternoon trying to sort this out.

Now what???
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Are you running your XP machine with administrator privileges? There might be some kind of windows XP security measures getting in the way, and running as admin might be necessary on the XP box.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Turn off the firewall on the windows XP machine.

You may need to add a user and password on the XP machine and login to the 98 machine with that username and password.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Win98 used NetBEUI and a much older IPX/SPX network protocols while XP uses only TCP/IP for network protocols. If your Win98box does not have TCP/IP installed it will not be able to see the XP box. The file system being FAT16 or FAT32 has nothing to do with being able to see an NTFS volume. The network protocols do the translation between the drives.

Here is a tutorial for networking Win98 to XP Pro.

This should work for you, Windows Media Center, is based on Windows XP Pro.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...l?printversion

ger21

You may need to add a user and password on the XP machine and login to the 98 machine with that username and password.