584,830 active members*
5,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newby questions

Hi all
    I’m in the precious metals industry and am looking for a cnc machine that will be able to make my own custom metal stamps with small, fine detailed work (say 20mm diameter rod with 1- 1.5mm letters and numbers etc machined on the face)
    Plus
    Be able to make my own molds to pour metal into by 3D or 2.5D machining into graphite blocks.
    Is there a machine that can do both of these tasks?
    Budget around $10k
    I’m totally new to cnc but mechanically minded and willing to do courses etc. this is my first port of call so any advice or links to websites etc will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Matt

Re: Newby questions

Hi Matt - Look at Taig mills. There is an Australian distributor. Peter

Will do
    Thank you Peter.
    Wouldn’t happen to know what type of machine is used to make Fine detailed metal stamps? Wouldn’t be a fiber laser machine would it or could a cnc mill do the job.?
    Thanks again

Re: Newby questions

Define 'detailed'.

You can buy square end mills down to well under 1.0 mm diameter. You can buy ball end mills down near that too (or lower?). Not that below about 4 mm OD cutters start rising in price!

What sort of material do you want to use? Steel - expensive and very slow. Al 6060 - much easier, very possible.

A limiting factor will be the Total Internal Runout (TIR) on the spindle. To get this right down, so tiny end mills are usable, means the $$ go up.

I don't know about lasers.

Cheers
    Roger