584,802 active members*
5,088 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Alternate screen open with path pilot?

Is there a way I can alt/tab or have another window open with my feeds/speeds spreadsheet or gwizard?
    Or even fusion360 if I upgrade to a more powerful computer?
    Would like to do as much as I can in front of the machine on a single pc

Re: Alternate screen open with path pilot?

Path pilot runs Linux operating system. The programs you mentioned are windows operating system based.

Fusion runs on Windows and Mac, not on Linux. GWizard might be possible to run on Linux, because it uses Air, but I don't think Bob/CNC supports that.
    You can alt-tab to other windows, if you can start them. Easiest is to ctrl-alt-X to start a terminal window, where you can start other programs in turn (by typing in their names, assuming they're installed)
    For example, I think firefox is installed? You could then run Google Sheets for feeds/speeds in Firefox, and alt-tab to that and back to pathpilot.
    With the Mesa card driving the stepper motors, you don't need to worry about the controller losing steps because you run other commands, but you still need to worry about the computer crashing ...

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Fusion runs on Windows and Mac, not on Linux. GWizard might be possible to run on Linux, because it uses Air, but I don't think Bob/CNC supports that.
    You can alt-tab to other windows, if you can start them. Easiest is to ctrl-alt-X to start a terminal window, where you can start other programs in turn (by typing in their names, assuming they're installed)
    For example, I think firefox is installed? You could then run Google Sheets for feeds/speeds in Firefox, and alt-tab to that and back to pathpilot.
    With the Mesa card driving the stepper motors, you don't need to worry about the controller losing steps because you run other commands, but you still need to worry about the computer crashing ...
    I'm a little of a linux noob but I will play with it. Thanks!
    What command in linux would I use to get the specs of the machine as far as cpu info. I already opened it to see the rest.
    And I can tell you that a mechanical hard drive and 4gb of ram is not up to my standards

I also have no idea on how the license works or what it's tied to. So I assuming I can't just ghost the drive to a solid state and throw it into another pc build?

To see the installed CPU:

Code:
     cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Note that it will print one verbose dump per core. Mine (2 year old PP 2) is a dual-core Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G4400 @ 3.30GHz
    Also, mine has 4G, which is enough for what I do with it (which is milling, an editing G code files for milling, and editing the Python scripts of the controller to customize milling :-)
    Mine also came with a SSD, not mechanical HDD.

Code:
     sudo lshw -class disk
    Shows a WDC WDS120G1G0A- SSD, 120 GB. Which is bigger than needed, but it's probably hard to find smaller drives in quantity these days!

Any idea on how to set it up as a raid1?

No but why would you bother with RAID? To install a new drive backup the important stuff with ADMIN SETTINGS BACKUP (tool table and such), copy to a USB drive, boot from the distribution USB drive and restore the settings USB drive. It should take less than 15 minutes.

It is Linux so no licence restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    No but why would you bother with RAID? To install a new drive backup the important stuff with ADMIN SETTINGS BACKUP (tool table and such), copy to a USB drive, boot from the distribution USB drive and restore the settings USB drive. It should take less than 15 minutes.

It is Linux so no licence restrictions.
    I mean license with Pathpilot
    I haven't found the admin setting backup yet

Insofar as I know there are no restrictions on PathPilot installations. Certainly many are using PP on non-Tormach machines.

You probably should download the relevant Tormach manuals. See https://www.tormach.com/support/wpdm...ual-0916a-web/

I have been reminded that current Tormach 770s don't ship with the reinstall USB drive that I mentioned earlier. You will have to order it from Tormach. See https://www.tormach.com/store/index....show&ref=38249 for details.

I have that but I think mine is really outdated. Whats on the machine now is the 2.2.4
    I'll have to check

You can update from 2.0.0 (or whatever USB drive you have) directly to the current 2.3.4. There is no need to install all of the immediate versions.