584,857 active members*
4,728 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Onsrud CNC router Z offset

I didn't see a category for Onsrud CNC routers so I thought I'd kick off my own thread.
    2013 Onsrud 97M with B&R hand held Controller. It seems not too many threads on that brand controller here or anywhere else on the web that I can find.
    I'm using VCarve Pro CAD/CAM.
    Everything appears perfect with G-CODE and Z-zero setting at material surface. I can manually step to z-zero with controller screen and return tool to material surface, however, when running a file the z-height is ALWAYS at +.547" above the intended location.
    I have been using it for awhile now by setting Z to an offset to make up the difference, but I'd like to find the real cause.

We just replaced our screen for our onsrud machine. I think the tech must have done something wrong because we have to adjust the z also. But once we do thta its good to go.

Re: Onsrud CNC router Z offset

I'm currently running a osrud m series with a OSAI controller and a multicam 3000 series router. We also use Vcarve. When we create a file for the osrud we set it to machine bed and for multicam it is material surface. Try switching to machine bed instead of material surface.

Re: Onsrud CNC router Z offset

For future reference all Onsrud machines are set so that Z0 is the top fo the bed. The spoilboard is offset using G54 on B&R and UAO on Osai. The Z Shift is different. So in the case of B&R the Z shift value is not the offset. You would need to go into the VNC or the handpad and look at the offsets menu. The Z Shift should be used for a temp shift. So if you are running .547 above, check the value in the G54 to see what it is. The other thing to keep in mind with a B&R is that you can set a temp home. There is a button on the handpad called Set Home. If you press it, it can cause similar symptoms. You can clear it by going to Set Home on the handpad, click on F3 (More) and then Clear Home. I know this is a bit late, but hope it helps someone.