584,837 active members*
5,602 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z Axis Brake ?

I think that the z axis brake is gone on my 1100, but before i go and buy a replacement i wanted to see if there were any other possible things that it could be. When i power up the mill, the head starts to drop before i can turn on the power to the machine itself. Meaning, i turn the computer on and as that is firing up but before i hit the main power, the head starts to drop fairly quickly but not violently. This time it dropped about half way down and then stopped. Also, as soon as i turn off the main power, the head drops slightly as well. I've also placed a coin on the z axis brake lever and turn the power on and it doesn't jump as i've read it should somewhere.

Seems that it is the z axis brake, but i shell out $300 for a new one, i want to make damn sure.

Thanks
    Kyle

Re: Z Axis Brake ?

Quote Originally Posted by Concepts_Design View Post
    . Meaning, i turn the computer on and as that is firing up but before i hit the main power, the head starts to drop fairly quickly but not violently.
    Kyle
    Did you try disconnecting the brake and ensure it holds OK at the point you are powering up the PC?
    If it does not hold when non-powered then it is in the brake.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Did you try disconnecting the brake and ensure it holds OK at the point you are powering up the PC?
    If it does not hold when non-powered then it is in the brake.
    Al.
    I wasn't aware that the brake could be disconnected, i thought it was integral to the z axis stepper and couldn't be adjusted and/or disconnected. Do you know how to do that?

Not being familiar with Tormach, I am making an assumption based on a typical electric motor brake.
    Looking at the pictures out there it appears to be fitted to the rear of the stepper and the upgrade to the legacy units it does appear to be a simple electric one.
    Either way, it should be a simple method to disable it.
    Al.

Albert E.

there's a label on the side of the brake that says it's non-serviceable and not to remove it

Is there a couple of leads into it or does it show it is wired?
    Al.

Albert E.

When you hit the e-stop you should hear a substantial clunk/thud, that's the brake engaging. You should hear a slightly less substantial clunk/thud when you press start. Are you getting those?

Quote Originally Posted by Philbobb View Post
    When you hit the e-stop you should hear a substantial clunk/thud, that's the brake engaging. You should hear a slightly less substantial clunk/thud when you press start. Are you getting those?
    That would seem to imply that it IS in fact electro-mechanical!
    Al.

Albert E.

When i hit the e-stop, the normal clunking sound is now gone and when i press start, the clunking sound is still there but it is pretty faint compared to what it used to sound like.

Some of the "clunk" comes from the two contactors slamming open.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

My brake on my z axis went out pre-maturely but had similar symptoms to yours. Only difference is mine would only drop when I turned off the machine. I ended up putting a piece of delrin so that my collet would not sit on my vise. There are a couple of things you can check. The first is the lever on top of the brake. It should be between these two little screws almost completely facing to the right of the machine (when looking at it from the front). If that looks normal then you can actually test it by disconnecting power from inside of your PLC cabinet. Unfortunately I cant remember which wires they are but you ca contact Tormach and they can instruct you which wire to exactly unhook and test the brake system.

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

What series is your 1100? If you don't already have a Series 3 this looks like a great excuse to upgrade to the new polyphase motors....

bob

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    What series is your 1100? If you don't already have a Series 3 this looks like a great excuse to upgrade to the new polyphase motors....

bob
    Would second that opinion! My event was a drive failure. Ended up with polyphase drives and motors for what 2.5 drives would cost.

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post

bob
    Mine is a series 3. When I spoke with Tormach, they said it was definitely the z axis brake was dead so I went ahead and ordered one. Not too bad I guess, this is really the only problem I have with the mill in 3 years. Could be worse

Did the new stepper and brake fix the problem?
    Joescnc 4x4 R&P Router, Minimill, Minilathe, CNC Foamcutter, laser cutter, Vectric Aspire. http://makermasters.com, http://themakersguide.com