584,865 active members*
4,937 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Can you program a null tool change ?

Can you program a null tool change ?

I have a 4525HT and have some tooling that share the same tool holder (Kaiser modular type) but the tooling is either too heavy or too large to be able to be put in the tool changer.
    A program I am working on requires at least two tool changes using that tooling and as they share the same tool holder, I am thinking the easiest way to swap tools is to pause the program and swap the tool itself ... leaving the tool holder in the spindle.
    The problem with doing that is the tools have different length offsets. Is it possible program a "null" tool change ... meaning it doesn't actually perform the change but the tool number and offsets are changed ??

Re: Can you program a null tool change ?

You realize you can use different offsets with the same tool number right?
    Length Offset 1 = 2.00"
    Length Offset 25 = 4.00"

M6T1
    G43 H1 Z8.

or
    Same Tool, but change the offset
    G43 H25 Z8.

RIchard

No I didn't know you could do that ... that's perfect. Thank you !!

Double check it works in the Fadal, but it should.

If you want to do manual tool changes, by hand, then always use tool 1 for example.

After your gcode for the first tool / op, enter a G28 to go home if you wish, or the coordinates you want to go to to change the tool, then insert a M1. That should pause the machine, let you press the Tool In/Out and change the tool, then cycle start to continue.

Your next block of code would continue to use tool 1, (No tool change) but you would use the new offset as shown above. G43 Hxx Zxx.
    Always call a safe Z position when using a G43 and new Length offset. The machine will move to the new position.

Using a G91 G43 Hxxx Z0.0 "should" apply the new length offset, and not move the head from its safe zone, because it increments the Z 0 inches. Be sure to do a G90 afterwards to go back to absolute positioning. (Test this with head all the way up and your finger on cycle stop to make sure it works as I remember).

Play with it and have some fun!

One problem that could occur when using different H offsets for the same tool number is - forgetting to change back to the first operation tooling and re-running the program. Might be a good idea to write a pause into the start of the program as well, with a note to check for correct tool !!

Yesterday I did something I have been threatening to do for some time. I wired a foot pedal switch for tool in/out into the control panel, so now I at least have two hands free to handle the tool change with these heavy tools. Trying to hold a 40lb tool in the spindle and reach the button on the control panel was no fun .... now much easier.

Yes, that can be a very serious problem. I don't like using different H# offsets for the same tool number. I think it's an crash waiting to happen. If you forget to do something it becomes bad in a hurry, but, I guess that can happen with any hand edited g-code if your not paying attention.

>>One problem that could occur when using different H offsets for the same tool number is - forgetting to change back to the first operation tooling and re-running the program