584,865 active members*
4,846 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Leveling stock using 4th axis and probe

Leveling stock using 4th axis and probe

Can anyone help with any "simple" methods of leveling stock in Y axis terms, that is chucked in the A axis ...... using touch probe outputs/findings ?? Perhaps a better way to put it is - how do you relate -Y axis touch probe Z output and a +Y axis touch probe Z output ..... so you can turn that into how many degrees to A axis needs to travel so -Y and +Y Z level is equal ??

Re: Leveling stock using 4th axis and probe

I have re-read the above post and think it may be a confusing/overly complicated way of explaining the problem and I'm relatively new to the CNC game .... so I'll try another way.

I am trying to tram stock (an existing part) that is mounted to the A axis .... using outputs from a touch probe. I need to incorporate this into a program so the machine can probe the parts Z height and then tram the part via the A axis.

I have tried to do this manually by jogging an equal distance either side of Y 0.0 and writing down the Z heights of each side .... then splitting the difference between the Z heights .... jogging the probe up/down to that point .... then jogging the A axis till it touches.
    That "manual" method gets the tram close .... but there is still quite a difference when repeating the same jog/probing process to check it is trammed. I think this is most likely caused by parts height above the A axis rotational center (around 9 inches) which would mean the surface I'm trying to tram, is moving in both Y and Z terms when the A axis is moved ??

There must be a method to calculating the A axis rotation required .... but I can't dig up any knowledge/routines to making it work.
    Any help appreiated

Wouldn't that be arctan(Zdiff/Ydist)? Ydist is the distance between the two probing points (centered at Y=0), Zdiff is the difference between the probe readings in those points.

It been a LONG time since I was at school but doing a search on arctan I think you might be on the right track. Looking at a definition of what arctan is, I am probably getting the error as I'm not doing the first touch at Y 0.0 ??
    The method I was trying was equal distance from Y 0.0 ... e.g Y -2.0 & Y 2.0 . Does that make sense to anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cfin View Post
    The method I was trying was equal distance from Y 0.0 ... e.g Y -2.0 & Y 2.0 . Does that make sense to anyone ?
    The arc tangent formula should be correct for any two points, assuming the stock is flat. For instance, if your probe touches at (Y=3, Z=-0.07) and (Y=5, Z=-0.05), then the stock is tilted

arctan ((-0.05-(-0.07)/(5-3)) = arctan (0.02/2) = 0.57 degrees. That's the amount you must rotate the A axis to align the stock with the XY plane.

If my math is wrong (which is entirely possible), please correct me.

Ok, I can understand that and think I have my head around it now. This is probably a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway .... I assume for this to work correctly Z0 would need to be set to the A axis center line height?

Quote Originally Posted by Cfin View Post
    Ok, I can understand that and think I have my head around it now. This is probably a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway .... I assume for this to work correctly Z0 would need to be set to the A axis center line height?
    No, Z0 does not matter. The formula will give you the same answer no matter where your Z0 is.

Yes that makes sense to me now. Thank you very much for your help !!

I recommend looking at website if you are interested in a new type of game. Where to find out all the intricacies of games like this.

Use the "find center point" probe option in the setup menu. It does the math for you. As for automating it to a touch probe with a fadal controller I have no idea.