585,604 active members*
3,325 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > VMC 15 Possible Spindle Bearing Issue - Some questions

VMC 15 Possible Spindle Bearing Issue - Some questions

(1997 VMC 15)

Im not new to this machine, I have had it a few years now. I have replaced Motor Bearings, and other bearings and parts throughout the Machine, but up to now, no spindle problems.

Had a crash about 2 weeks ago, where a part slipped in the vise and broke a chunk out of a 1" rougher. NOT GOOD. Spindle seemed ok for awhile, but now after cutting awhile, I am getting a slight twitch in the load meter and I hear the cutter speed drag a little, during the cut. Very slight vibration in the spindle running unloaded with my hand on it.... Still turns smooth by hand with no binding at all. I did the preload test lowering it onto the table with a scale to 1000 lbs, zero the indicator, raise it back off the table, then push and release the tool changer.. (per the book) and I get only about .001 of movement, that is actually a little tighter than the spec in the book? Could it be too tight now?

Really don't want to spend 3-4K on a spindle right now, would rather buy new vises and improve my workholding. but worried about running and cutting with the twitch.... I don't think it ts a drive problem.. I have a 2 year old drive that has worked flawless. Only get the twitch in the load meter when cutting. Thinking a bearing is not good.

So in short to my rant,, I am not afraid to disassemble it, (even after reading a lot of past posts about it). But more of my concern is I don't have any tech data or spec's to go by during the process. I hate guessing and going into something totally without tolerance information.

Does any one here have any tech data for the tolerances, and the part numbers for the bearings, seals, etc... That is what I am looking for. 7500 RPM grease pack , non locking drawbar.

Would like to replace my drawbar also with a new one, Tried to replace it during my last bellville washer change.... The last one I bought from FadalCnc had worse tolerances than the used drawbar I had in the machine already , so I sent it back for a refund, and put my old one back in.. Does anyone know other supplier that may have a better quality part?

Thanks in advance to all.
    Tryon

Re: VMC 15 Possible Spindle Bearing Issue - Some questions

I hear you on the drawbar. I had to swap 3 before it worked and even now I'm having problems with the retention balls sticking in the cup. As for rebuilding a spindle that's quite a specialized process because you'll probably have to regrind the taper and shaft. Then balancing. I'm not afraid of fixing my own stuff but if I had to rebuild a spindle I would send it in to a rebuild shop. Good luck.