584,814 active members*
5,215 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Dyna Mechtronics > Dyna Myte 2800 vs Tormach Machines

Dyna Myte 2800 vs Tormach Machines

I'm interested to hear from any of you who have used a Dyna Myte 2800 as well as a Tormach machine. How do they compare? Comparisons to any Tormach mill would be interesting.

I understand that they are very different machines, but I'm interested in rigidity and accuracy.

I would like to machine small injection molds, and the travels on the DM2800 are just large enough. Mold materials are both aluminum and prehard steels like P-20. I would be using small tools, 1/4" and under for the most part, but doing lots of 3D surfacing with small ball mills.

I've been looking around and there are many used machines that I could get that are in the same price range, like an older Fadal, but I don't want to give up that much space in my garage. (I already have an injection molding machine that takes up lots of space...)

Anyone have an opinion/Experience?

Re: Dyna Myte 2800 vs Tormach Machines

If there are no thoughts on comparisons to the Tormach machines, how about other machines like grizzly g0704 conversion, Precision Mathews conversion, Syil, light machines, Sieg?

Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks!

I can't comment on the machines you are referencing specifically, but I can make a few general observations, if you don't mind....

First, you are talking about different generation machinery here... The 2800 hasn't been produced in years (decades?), while most of the others are modern, currently produced, mills. So, I think it is fair to say that you are kind of comparing apples and oranges. The 2800 with a SKIP controller is likely something that you will end up retrofitting, while the others will be "plug in and run". The 2800 never had any tool changer options (although some of the other Dynas did), while many of the current machines have tool changers as an option.

Price wise, the new machine will be significantly more expensive, but if you are thinking of doing commercial work, then time is money. There are a few considerations with that comment. Dyna is no longer in business. One of the ex-employees does an excellent job of providing service (Roberto), but if you need parts then you are SOL. On the other hand, the currently produced products have a supply chain for obtaining replacement parts (probably) quickly, so you can get back on your feet again.... producing your product and, therefore, getting paid.... And if you buy the 2800, then you have to factor in the time to retrofit the control (you can check on this forum for some interesting reads on people using Acorn controllers).

All in all, my personal opinion is that I think I would probably go with one of the other machines if I was trying to setup a business. But that is just me; maybe you are thinking you can see how things work out for a year or two and then expand/upgrade. That is fair...

If you do decide that you are fine with a used/older machine, take a look at something like the Dyna DM4400M too. It has a 10 tool changer, which might be useful to you. And it has a commercial control on it for which Mitsubishi will still answer questions (although I doubt you can buy parts... those would be fleaBay items). It weighs in at about 4200lbs, so it isn't a huge CNC, but it isn't light either. I just got this machine a month ago. I'm still cleaning and repairing a bunch of nits (and a few majors which have kept me from doing much), but it appears to be a very nice machine. Note that there is a more common variant of the DM4400 with the SKIP control. If you really want to do commercial work, I'm guessing that this would be less attractive to you, although I should defer to someone that actively uses that control (I've never) for comments there. They may say it is perfectly fine..... Spare parts will definitely be more of a problem with it than the Mitsubishi variant though.

If you decide to get a DM4400M, I'd be happy to share some of my learnings with you. But always be aware that businesses only make money when they are running their machines. Just my 2 cents.

Alan

P.S. If you are interested in sizing of a DM4400M, I did a very rough drawing of it in one of the most recent postings from me... Mine came with a full enclosure which I would *love* to have in my garage, but I can't fit... The drawings show the machine largely denuded. I'm planning on moving the control console so it 'hangs' from the top, ala a modern milling machine, but retain the Mitsubishi control.

Thanks for the thoughts MrMetric.

I'll have to admit that my thought process through all of this was independent of the controller. I assumed that a DM2800 purchased/used in today time frame would have been retrofitted to a modern controller. For my uses the original SKIP controller wouldn't be adequate. And my modern controller I mean, Mach, Linixcnc, centroid, etc...

I was more asking in the line of rigidity, backlash, vibration damping.

I would like to have a DM4000, DM4400 or DM4400M, but I haven't found one for sale and it is till right at the maximum size I can fit in my shop. If I did find one, I would probably retrofit the controls/motors and drives.

I'm glad to hear that you recently found a DM4400m, and thanks for the dimensions, they were helpful.

I’m not sure what you budget looks like but how about one of the small brother or fanuc phone book size mills they usually have higher rpm spindles much better for the 3D surfacing you want to do. Even an older used one will be miles ahead of something like a tormach. I usually see those real industrial machines for cheaper than tormachs and such.

Quote Originally Posted by geo01005 View Post
    I'm interested to hear from any of you who have used a Dyna Myte 2800 as well as a Tormach machine. How do they compare? Comparisons to any Tormach mill would be interesting.

I understand that they are very different machines, but I'm interested in rigidity and accuracy.

I would like to machine small injection molds, and the travels on the DM2800 are just large enough. Mold materials are both aluminum and prehard steels like P-20. I would be using small tools, 1/4" and under for the most part, but doing lots of 3D surfacing with small ball mills.

I've been looking around and there are many used machines that I could get that are in the same price range, like an older Fadal, but I don't want to give up that much space in my garage. (I already have an injection molding machine that takes up lots of space...)

Anyone have an opinion/Experience?
    My brother had 4 Dyna Mite 2800’s and he just sold 3 of them. I was going to buy one to go along with my Tormach PCNC 1100 but I learned about 2 major problems with the Dyna Mite machines.

Problem number 1, the Dyna Mite control only allows 900 lines of program information.

Problem number 2 and the biggest problem of all, Dynamechtronics, the importer of Dyna Mitemachines has gone out of business so spare/replacement parts are going to become really hard to get.

I’ve had my Tormach for 8 years and all I have ever done is run it.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Hello.. how can i post my problem and share it with people in this site?

i have both cnc the dm2800 and pcnc770 the collects and spindle speed is a quicker and tool changes are nice i have tons of original parts i have like 5 of the skip controller and without a manual so i am forced to retro fit them.