585,729 active members*
4,627 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rutex reassurances???

I'm going to do a retro on a mill that has 100V servos on it, so I've been looking around for drives to push these.

1.) Seems like Rutex is one of the only companies listed in the forums here that offer drives this large, but PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong and point me to other vendors.

2.) Given the lack of recent posts here and the feeling that the Rutex webpage is a little outdated, what's been going on???? Are people still successfully buying, or is the company floundering?!?!?

Any help would be great!!!

Tom Eldridge from Rutex US is helpful but seems to have limited technical expertise, trying to contact Vladimir here in Australia who is the owner of Rutex and the engineer behind the Rutex products is basically impossible from my experience. I've tried dozens of times to call his office for technical support and the phone just rings out, no answering machine, no one to talk to. My emails and fax goes unreplied. I would be very reluctant to buy Rutex products again.

Cheers
    Splint

I had contact with Vladimir a couple of years ago. He's working a lot and it's a lot better to e-mail him than using the phone. If he doesn't answer by mail, ask Tom to forward a question. I think he's using another address.
    I think you should give them a try as the drivers are really good.

Regards,
    Sven

Checkout Larkens Viper 200 drive. I'm using them on 105 volts and they work well on my bridgeport retrofit.

http://www.larkencnc.com/viper/index.shtml

Ive ran them into hard stops many times as well and seem quite tough, which is a problem with the Rutex ive heard.

Hello,

Are you running the 29 in. lb. nema42 servo motors that are on the later model bridgeports with those Viper drives?

I took a quick look at their web page, and i have always looked at a 20 amp drive like this: it will run a 5 amp continious motor, that is 20 amps peak. The nema42, 29 in. lb. motor is about 8-10 amps continious and 30-40 amps peak.

If you are running the nema 42's, did you let them go into a good ossicolation when you were tuning the drive? and did they survive it?

Does Viper have a dealer in the USA?

Thanks,

If you are running the nema 42's, did you let them go into a good ossicolation when you were tuning the drive? and did they survive it?
    Thats hard on drives because a motor that big can output over 100 amps (you can weld with them). So you have to becareful to limit the PWM output when tuning. (A setting in my latest viper drives).

The mosfets are rated at 56 amps, and current clipping comes on at 20 amps(after a small time delay).

Larry K.

Rutex Situation

Just so everyone knows: I have been told by the US rep for Rutex that the owner and main engineer for Rutex in Australia has walked away from the business and left everyone hanging....sad, but true. The US rep told me that he is working on getting a line of replacement drives on the market in the near future.

-Brian

That's very disappointing but I guess stuff like that happens occasionally. I think this could be an opportunity for someone with a little background in electronics and an entrepreneurial flair who could make an offer to Vlad for the intelectual property rights to the Rutex products and continue on with the Rutex line. If the Rutex drives were packaged like Gecko drives (in a modular type case) they would be a great product. It's not something I would take on but for the right person it could be a cheap and easy way into their own business which if marketed properly could be quiet profitable.

Splint

Quote Originally Posted by Splint View Post
    That's very disappointing but I guess stuff like that happens occasionally. I think this could be an opportunity for someone with a little background in electronics and an entrepreneurial flair who could make an offer to Vlad for the intelectual property rights to the Rutex products and continue on with the Rutex line. If the Rutex drives were packaged like Gecko drives (in a modular type case) they would be a great product. It's not something I would take on but for the right person it could be a cheap and easy way into their own business which if marketed properly could be quiet profitable.

Splint
    Yes, I agree totally. I think the Rutex drivers are perfect for someone who sees the chance to take it over. I got a lot of help from Vlad before, I like the hardware and would have bought them again. For sure.

Hi, Any word yet if someone else will betaking over production of the R2020 drives.
    Thanks,
    Tig

I heard he has some family issues at this time. I doubt he will give up all his R&D to some one else.

He may come back in a few years. It his business, not public domain !

"It his business, not public domain !"
    I wasn't for an instant thinking he would just give it away. As stated earlier by Splint and Svenakela, it might be a good opportunity for someone to pick up the slack.
    Time marches on, and in a few years these drives will be obsolete, and there will surely be a loss of goodwill from those left with out replacement parts.

I posted a message in an electronics forum and explained what was happening (without revealing Rutexs' identity) and asked if anyone there would be interested in buying in, but didn't get a single response.
    Hopefully Vlad will change his mind and make a comeback sometime soon.

Cheers
    Splint

If anyone is interested I have some Rutex drives for sale.

[Text removed by moderator. Please use the Classified section for ad's.]

cheers

Frans

There's no need for anyone to loose business or R&D, if Rutex wants to get back in a few years and if there's an interest to have the business running, a contractor solution can be vary handy. There are people that like the products and it would be great to have the possibility to get spare parts.

Regards,
    Sven