Hi all,

I am new here and to CNC work in general. I recently bought a Cercon Brain Mill, originally used for milling crowns (for teeth). This was a rather impulsive buy, it showed up at a local surplus store and I knew it wouldn't bee there long. The machine, although old, is beautifully made and appears to have been well maintained. One of the problems with these machines is their proprietary closed source system. You had to scan a bar code on the material to get it to run, there is a usb license dongle required to install the software, which even if I had it, is so specific to dental milling, it wouldn't be very useful to me. I have been running manual machines for 10+ years and more recently ventured into 3d printing with a scratch built machine

Here is a summary of the machine:

-3 linear axis : maxon driver -> maxon dc motor + encoder -> ball screws
-non contact laser measurement system

-a 4th axis that rotates, just 180 degrees and can only be positioned at 0 or 180. however, the addition of an encoder motor and a little mechanical work could make this into a full 4th axis

-dual spindles run by maxon 50 / 5 brushless dc drivers running maxon brushless dc motors with encoders. The spindle are differently geared for different RPMS, so one was a fast(fine small tool) and a slow (course, larger tool). I do not know the exact model of the motors, but I know the drivers will run up to 125,000 rpm! I doubt the motors & spindle are built for that, but it would not surprise me if these spindle ran in the 30k+ range.

-the system is run by a honeywell 5c5001.11 industrial computer / universal programmer. This thing is really hanging me up, its where the extremely proprietary software than runs the machine lives, but its also called a universal programmer and sometimes a PROVIT 5000 system. On top of that, its part of the IPC5000 series of products, for which documentation is shared. So any information about this system and what can be done with it, would be very helpful. If the answer is nothing can be done with it, than I would be looking for advise on what to replace it with (arduino, raseberry pi, ect). I also have a older pc laying around that could be dedicated to running this machine via a variety of computer interfaces, taking suggestions!

Looking for suggestions on what kind of machine to make this into. So far I am thinking a tool grinder (that 4th axis mod would allow me to do things like end mills). A light duty mill, perhaps capable of machining allen & torx heads on small bolts. My most ambitious idea is to add a (probably) vertically lathe spindle and then make a tool post / turret that attaches to the staging. I think this could even done with retaining the grinding / milling capabilities. The challenge to me is how to attach that new spindle, the frame of this machine is rhenocast, an alternative to granite as I understand. I know nothing about this material or how I would go about bolting into it.

None of this is set in stone yet, very open to all ideas for proceeding with this project.

I was not sure where on this forum was best to post this, if there is a better place, please advise.