584,829 active members*
5,175 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Create 2D sketches

Hi I am wanting to learn software to create 2d blueprints for our company. Up till now we have relied on pen and paper drawings but I would like to learn how to create proper looking drawings and move us into the digital age.
    There seem to be lots of options out there and most of what I see is 3d modelling. I assume that I could create sketchs from a 3d model I create but am not sure if that is where I need to put my efforts. I Am hoping for something that will have lots of tutorials available to keep me from getting stuck or investing in software that is to complex for what I require. The majority of the parts we make are done in a lathe so I would require software that I can create Details showing threads,chamfers, grooves ect..
    Any input is appreciated

Thanks

Re: Create 2D sketches

Most 3D modelling applications will allow you to insert various views of the object you created into a drawing for production purposes.You may need to create a standard template for the paper sizes you commonly use incorporating boxes for company name,part description,materials,finishes,updates and other relevant items.If you start by using one of the basic 2D drafting packages you will effectively be using your computer as an electronic drawing board.Lots of organisations do this and seem happy enough.They might be a lot happier if they knew how much more those same computers could do if loaded with 3D capable software.Then you get to the organisations where the 3D model is the primary source of component information and the accompanying paperwork describes the material,finishes and a limited amount of other information.If you have capable software you can use the features of the 3D models to allow your CAM system to create the Gcode for production and the better systems have compatible packages to allow this.

Some of this software is free as in Freecad some is almost free as with Fusion-free for hobbyists and a sliding scale of cost for companies-and some is moderately priced with the final category being very expensive.Where do you want to start and do you see yourself needing to gain skills that are sought after in your location? It would be a bit pointless learning Autocad LT if all the businesses nearby use Solid Works,even though Autocad LT will produce good 2D drawings.There are numerous youtube videos comparing systems and a few hours watching the more recent,say less than three years old may be useful to you.Opinions from eight years ago can't possibly relate to the packages available today.