585,585 active members*
3,606 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Converting a Sherline Mill to Mach3 with oddball drivers.

Converting a Sherline Mill to Mach3 with oddball drivers.

Hello All! Thanks in advance for any input.

I have a LabVolt CNC that I'm converting to Mach 3 with a CNC4PC C11 break out board. The stepper drivers are D&M Chopper Drivers and I'm trying to figure out what their pinout is and how to connect them to the C11 BOB. I'm a noob to CNC but I get the gist of it but I'm striking out trying to figure sort this.The driver input terminal from the existing controller is a 4 prong and instead of explaining it I'll just provide a pic of the Z axis.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...d=296090&stc=1

The yellow wire goes to a terminal on the driver labelled "D"
    The Grey wire goes to a terminal on the driver labelled "C"
    The black wire is a common ground.
    The red wire supplies +5VDC.

How does this equate to Pulse and Direction on the BOB and how do I connect it? Even better. How can I figure out which one is which? What is the process for figuring it out without people smarter than me saving my ass????!!!

I know I could replace the drivers but there seem to be a handful of people that have retrofitted utilizing them from my reading.

Here are pics of the project as it currently sits. The Shirline mill works great under manual control from the panel and the cabinet is pretty nice. I added the display on a swing arm tonight for the computer that I'll throw together for Mach3.

Thanks Again!

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...d=296096&stc=1

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...d=296098&stc=1

Re: Converting a Sherline Mill to Mach3 with oddball drivers.

From my web page at:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/io/steppers.htm

Control Signals: The stepper motor controller typically accepts two inputs from an external source: Step and Direction. The Direction signal set the direction of rotation and each pulse on the Step signal causes the controller to move the motor one step in that direction. The controller translates these signals into different patterns of current flow in the coils, which result in the moment of the motor. The Step signal may be called: Clock, CLK+, Pluse, etc.. and Direction may be called DIR, CCW+, CW/CCW, but they are still just carrying Step and Direction information.

So based on that, I would guess that C is your clock or Step line and D is your Direction. You can't cause harm by getting those backwards; it just won't work correctly. Power and ground, of course, will fry things if you get them attached wrong, but they should be clear.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

I have a LabVolt 5600 with the same drivers. There are four wires coming off the driver they are:

A yellow wire goes to a terminal on the driver labelled "D"
    A grey wire goes to a terminal on the driver labelled "C"
    A black wire goes to a terminal on the driver labelled "-"
    A red wire with is goes to a terminal on the driver "+"

I am not sure how to connect the black wire and if it is a neutral or a ground. My breakout board doesn't seem to have a place to connect it should I connect it to the machine ground. Or should I get a separate 5VDC power supply?