584,861 active members*
5,051 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Automated Precision Equipment?

Hello.

Can anyone tell me if Automated Precision Equipment is still in business? I have an APE 200HD 120" X 60" CNC router. I have called and left messages in both Tech Support, and Sales, and have not heard a single word back. Their website is still active, and the phone goes through, but no return call (and they have no e-mail contact)! I need to have my machine serviced. It is approximately 14 years old. It does function, but air lines are getting old, and it probably needs re leveling and squaring of the frame. I have been working with WinCnc out of West Virginia and they have been SUPER helpful in regard to my software, but I need assistance with the machine it's self. As an option, would it be possible to upgrade my servo driver with one from another vendor? I'd like to get this machine fully functional (it has a few issues with going off-program, and I don't want to damage it). The machine is used for sign fabrication, specialty frames, grids, plaques, and such in a theme park maintenance shop. As we approach a new fiscal year, I'd like to nail down some cost numbers to earmark our budget!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Steve Weaver

Re: Automated Precision Equipment?

It is likely that a new servo driver and motor can easily be substituted.

For ballpark, a 750W modern brushless AC servo is about 700€ in the EU, all-included with 22% VAT.
    These have both step/dir and 0-10V analog inputs, and should plug in into most-anything industrial.

The new servo is vastly better, but wont make much difference functionally as your controller typically will not be able to utilise the new servo to it´s full capacity.
    Tuning the new servo may be easy or hard, depending on your controller and documentation, and sometimes on the servo.

Setting "safe" parameters on the servo is likely to get you excellent results, but much less than a new modern servo could ideally do (with a new controller).

Fiddling with the new servo is likely to take about a week of work, unless a tech familiar with the old machine can be located for advice, cutting the fiddling by 80%.
    You can do 90%+ of the fiddling, with 10% of advice online.

Thanks for the reply hanermo! I guess I actually meant "servo controller," as my four motors are functioning properly. BTW, I did finally get ahold of someone from APE and they are working up an estimate!

Steve

A fanuc servo controller costs about 2500$, add maybe 500$ in things like cables, tuning sw, or whatever.
    == 1 kW, typical older machines.

A new servo motor, controller, cables, import, 700€ all-included.
    See ?

Quote Originally Posted by scweaver59 View Post
    Thanks for the reply hanermo! I guess I actually meant "servo controller," as my four motors are functioning properly. BTW, I did finally get ahold of someone from APE and they are working up an estimate!

Steve