584,842 active members*
4,614 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Vise attached to aluminum extrusion directly.

Vise attached to aluminum extrusion directly.

Somewhere on CNCZone someone posted a picture of a AVIDCNC type machine with a removable spoilboard in order to bolt a machine vise directly to the aluminum extrusions of the machine.

Anyone know who that was or have the link to that machine? Asking for another CNCZONE member, and me!

Re: Vise attached to aluminum extrusion directly.

No memory on that one!

I suspect though that you will need a precise frame to take advantage of a machine too vise. The problem is that yo have nothing to machine flat and in parallel to the X axis plane.

You can certainly machine the surface of the 80/20 extrusions that you are bolting the vise too. Or add a piece of aluminum to bolt the vise too, and machine that.

Quote Originally Posted by nlancaster View Post
    Somewhere on CNCZone someone posted a picture of a AVIDCNC type machine with a removable spoilboard in order to bolt a machine vise directly to the aluminum extrusions of the machine.

Anyone know who that was or have the link to that machine? Asking for another CNCZONE member, and me!
    IIRC, this is buried somewhere in a thread about the Saturn 3 machine and was about some 6 months ago.

Is this it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vice on Router.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	430656

I saved the pic when I saw it, but don't know where it came from.

You can certainly machine the surface of the 80/20 extrusions that you are bolting the vise too. Or add a piece of aluminum to bolt the vise too, and machine that.
    I’m not sure I like the idea of machining any T-slotted aluminum. The stuff can be pretty thin to begin with. If the machine is close to square and parallel you might get away with it. In general though I can’t suggest this approach.

On the other hand adding an aluminum plate is almost ideal. Actually this could be a steel plate too, as long as it can be machined. Done right this should give a solid mounting point for the vise.

Sterob, YES THAT IS THE ONE!!

Now if I could just find the thread!

Thanks.|

So if anyone recognizes that machine and which thread it was, a link would be great. I still can't find it even though I know that is a pre january 2016 cncrouterparts machine.

Sterob, YES THAT IS THE ONE!!

Now if I could just find the thread!

Thanks.|

So if anyone recognizes that machine and which thread it was, a link would be great. I still can't find it even though I know that is a pre january 2016 cncrouterparts machine.
    Your welcome.lol

Hi, This is my machine. I have an two different pics of it in two separate threads.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-r...rmach-cam.html

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-r...ml#post2282248

The extrusion is machined flat as you would a spoil board. I used to have it mounted low enough that I could place the spoil board back and cover the entire setup without taking off the vice, but I found that I was sacrificing too much rigidity when the Z is that low. You might do better with the newer linear rail machine but the V-con chatters loudly at the speeds I tried to hit. So basically the setup is now fixed and I have 1/4 area reserved for aluminum or really tall pieces. The extrusion surface is machined flat as you would a spoil-board maybe taking off 0.03". I have a couple vises mounted now and a removable plastic tray underneath to catch chips and coolant

Hope this helps.

I scored a linear rail Servo based machine sometime ago which I intend to setup for all metal cutting. Not sure when I'll get to that.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-r...ml#post2316832

Thanks for the input panda!!

Yeah saw your thread on the pro machine with servos. can't wait to see what you do with that!