584,841 active members*
4,285 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > FineLine Automation > Any get their kit, WHEN FLA said they would?

Any get their kit, WHEN FLA said they would?

I'm looking into one of FLA's 2'x3' FLA100 Kits. Their site says "IN STOCK", and "GUARANTEED TO SHIP NEXT DAY"...

Has anyone actually got a tracking # the next day?

I've heard HORROR stories about timelines and quality...but I also know forums are usually more geared towards vocalizing BAD, than GOOD.

Re: Any get their kit, WHEN FLA said they would?

Anyone?

Save yourself a lot of frustration and regret - DON'T DO IT! Yes, I'm talking from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by trm1980 View Post
    Save yourself a lot of frustration and regret - DON'T DO IT! Yes, I'm talking from experience.
    Appreciate the insight. Can I ask why?

I owned a Saturn 2 4x4 for a year and half and the only good thing I can say about it is, I really learned a lot about how a CNC router works because I spent a tremendous amount of working on it instead of making things.

First, I ended up replacing the frame because the one cross rail was up by 3/16". Nate provided the frame but I ended up putting in all the labor to switch the gantry over and set it up.

Second, I had to tear the gantry down and replace the linear bearings because the quit rolling smoothly (this I discovered was caused by a badly twisted gantry). Again, I provided all the labor.

Third, I replaced the gantry because the upper and lower rails tilted inwards towards each other causing binding problems. Again, I supplied all the labor.

And all this was made not fun by having to stack in washers and shims each time something was taken apart.

The stop blocks were mounted on the rounded over part of the tubing making it so the one was tilted so far different from the other, there wasn't enough adjustment in the switch. The list goes on and and on and we're talking about some serious time invested.

After all of that, I could have the machine set up, adjusted and working well, and then all of a sudden something else would break, move, or go out of adjustment and I'd have to be working on the machine again. I understand that we aren't working to tolerances of thousandths of inches - I'm not talking about that. It just was never dependable. You could never figure on going out to the shop and say, oh, I want to make this thing and know you'll be able to just go ahead and do it.

It amounted to a huge level of frustration and I feel like I got cheated because of all the time I spent and ended up with a machine that still wasn't worth having.

Thankfully I had CNC Router parts electronics on it and that part of it was good.

I did switch over to another another CNC router so I do know what it's like dealing with a real machine and a real company with real support.

If you want the parts on your machine to look like they were made in a high school shop class, and the customer service of an inner city DMV...then by all means Nate at Fineline is your guy.

I owned a Saturn 2 4x4 for a year and half and the only good thing I can say about it is, I really learned a lot about how a CNC router works because I spent a tremendous amount of working on it instead of making things.

The stop blocks were mounted on the rounded over part of the tubing making it so the one was tilted so far different from the other, there wasn't enough adjustment in the switch.

Thankfully I had CNC Router parts electronics on it and that part of it was good.

I did switch over to another another CNC router so I do know what it's like dealing with a real machine and a real company with real support.
    What stop blocks on a Saturn 2 are mounted on round tubing??? All mine are on the 3 inch square rail.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    What stop blocks on a Saturn 2 are mounted on round tubing??? All mine are on the 3 inch square rail.
    The corner radius of the tubing on second gantry was so large that the stop blocks were mounted on the radius.

Tim

The corner radius of the tubing on second gantry was so large that the stop blocks were mounted on the radius.

Tim
    Hard to understand, picture?
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Hard to understand, picture?
    I probably have one somewhere, I'd have to look for it.

Picture where your x axis stops are located on the gantry. If the round corner of the gantry tubing is too large, the stop blocks end up sitting on the round part instead of the flat part of the tubing.

Tim

I probably have one somewhere, I'd have to look for it.

Picture where your x axis stops are located on the gantry. If the round corner of the gantry tubing is too large, the stop blocks end up sitting on the round part instead of the flat part of the tubing.

Tim
    Yours is a welded frame and gantry Saturn 2? When you purchase? Mine was ordered in May 2018 and I delayed shipment until the mid or end of July because of storm damage here. Came in to the freight terminal a few days later and I picked up with my modified trailer.

Yours is a welded frame and gantry Saturn 2? When you purchase? Mine was ordered in May 2018 and I delayed shipment until the mid or end of July because of storm damage here. Came in to the freight terminal a few days later and I picked up with my modified trailer.
    I got mine April 2018. The gantry was replaced later on. It was the second gantry the had the rounded corners.

Tim

Looks like that is when he started getting the problem machines shipped out. I understand he has revised the design and maybe sourced elsewhere. All I know is my machine is fine, I guess I got lucky.

I do not see any current complaint posts. There is just one that keeps popping up, but its been almost a year and still being rehashed?