508,310 active members
3,231 visitors online
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Dynomotion/Kflop/Kanalog > MAHO 1000 c hardware with Kanalog KFlop controller advice
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: MAHO 1000 c hardware with Kanalog KFlop controller advice

The original servo motors have only built in tachogenerators with feedback back to the original drive amplifiers. nothing more.

The original servo motors have only built in tachogenerators with feedback back to the original drive amplifiers. nothing more.
    That's good. Some feedback from the motor shafts is usually required to have a stable system with linear scale feedback.
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

but if i put rotary incremental encoders on the servo motors then I have no linear scales , could I just do with those rotary encoders or should I instead put linear scales?

but if i put rotary incremental encoders on the servo motors then I have no linear scales , could I just do with those rotary encoders or should I instead put linear scales?
    Linear Scales are almost always preferred as they have the big advantage that more mechanical errors can be corrected. Because the actual table position is being measured, and is known, the servo will keep making adjustments until the table is at the desired position. Things like lead screw errors, backlash, compliances, etc. can be potentially eliminated. With only rotary encoders the Servo can position the motor/leadscrew correctly, but any mechanical errors between that and the table will remain uncorrected.

Note however that even though the feedback loop will attempt to correct these errors they will not necessarily be completely eliminated. How large the errors will be is dependent on the dynamics of the system. The dynamics will determine how quickly corrections can be made.

One disadvantage with Linear Scales is that because more mechanical issues are in the feedback loop it can be less stable and more difficult to tune. This is why velocity feedback from the motor shafts is useful. Otherwise controlled motion of the motors can be difficult. For example when moving through backlash the Linear Scales don't provide any information at all.

So in summary, I'd suggest adding new Linear Scales and keep the tachometer feedback to your amplifiers.
    TK

Registered

Oh right. The Indramat closes the velocity control loop, with the tachos, while the control (Phillips432, or in my case LinuxCNC through MESA 7i77) closes the position loop with the linear encoders. If you rip out the Indramat, you are missing the velocity control loop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails two loop feedback.jpg  
    Regards,
    Mark

Yes I would keep the existing drives and power supplies if possible. Here is a simple test to check that you have found where to inject the +/-10V Velocity command as well as have them powered and enabled.

There are many other "dumb" drives that allow tachometer feedback to control velocity. a-m-c.com is one source.

HTH
    TK

Page 2 of 2 12