585,722 active members*
4,186 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > has anyone used a cylinder slide for guide rails?

Question has anyone used a cylinder slide for guide rails?

i found a business out my way that deals in reselling liquidated industrial goods. one of the things i keep finding are these pneumatic slide cylinders, and i cant help but wonder if they are even worth looking at as far as cnc gantry is concerned. it also helps that every time i find one they are almost always dirt cheap. now im not looking to keep the air part working, i just want the slide of it. i'm figuring if i just remove the end caps and away she goes. i posted a picture of the one i'm thinking about so you guys know what i'm talking about

am i completely way off base here, or is this a tree worth barking up? my current machine is a genmitsu 3018 so any amount of rigidity is more than i have now and probably more accurate.

Re: has anyone used a cylinder slide for guide rails?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfox222 View Post
    i found a business out my way that deals in reselling liquidated industrial goods. one of the things i keep finding are these pneumatic slide cylinders, and i cant help but wonder if they are even worth looking at as far as cnc gantry is concerned. it also helps that every time i find one they are almost always dirt cheap. now im not looking to keep the air part working, i just want the slide of it. i'm figuring if i just remove the end caps and away she goes. i posted a picture of the one i'm thinking about so you guys know what i'm talking about

am i completely way off base here, or is this a tree worth barking up? my current machine is a genmitsu 3018 so any amount of rigidity is more than i have now and probably more accurate.
    They are used on a lot of commercial Router for different stations for Drilling Etc some are used for multi spindle machines also, they don't normally have much travel, so not that useful
    Mactec54