584,849 active members*
4,227 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > directionalized electrical noise detector

directionalized electrical noise detector

My CNC router has an electrical noise issue somewhere, prob multiple places, and it makes my spindle VFD fault out sometimes. The VFD manual for the fault suggests it's a noise issue.

It's so bad that I've used another router with it that didn't even have a VFD (just a Porter Cable plugged into the wall) and it messed that up and it even messes up my keyboard if I move it close. It's probably given me cancer already too.

Do they make a reasonably priced directional electrical noise sniffer so I can pinpoint the places where the noise is coming from? I'm envisioning a wand with a meter on it that you point at things. Think geiger counter. Or Ghostbusters.

Re: directionalized electrical noise detector

I would say you have a serious grounding issue, or a loose power connection on the mains. I can't believe any electrical noise would fowl up a plugin router, that is pretty much not possible. I could see a plug in router or a VFD creating electrical noise, but not normally the other way around.

Maybe a field strength meter would work, but not sure about that. https://www.ebay.com/b/rf-field-stre.../bn_7024797861 A cheap transistor radio might work also, I didn't know they still made these. https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Opera.../dp/B076DK947N Just tune between stations, the buzz should get louder as you approach the source.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by HalfRhoVSquared View Post
    My CNC router has an electrical noise issue somewhere, prob multiple places, and it makes my spindle VFD fault out sometimes. The VFD manual for the fault suggests it's a noise issue.

It's so bad that I've used another router with it that didn't even have a VFD (just a Porter Cable plugged into the wall) and it messed that up and it even messes up my keyboard if I move it close. It's probably given me cancer already too.

Do they make a reasonably priced directional electrical noise sniffer so I can pinpoint the places where the noise is coming from? I'm envisioning a wand with a meter on it that you point at things. Think geiger counter. Or Ghostbusters.
    One of these meters will help you find some of your problems

Can you take and post some photos of you wiring this may help to see where your problems are
    Mactec54

If in your shoes, I'd probably go on a program of tightening down every electrical screw connection, make sure you have proper grounding everywhere (and make sure it's a star configuration), replacing unshielded signal wires with shielded, moving/routing power cables away from signals as much as possible.

And this stuff won't give you cancer so relax!

I've ordered the EMF checker and will let you what I find. Is there a good *simple* illustration online of what grounding should look like for a CNC router?

Quote Originally Posted by HalfRhoVSquared View Post
    I've ordered the EMF checker and will let you what I find. Is there a good *simple* illustration online of what grounding should look like for a CNC router?
    Just post some photos of what you have done with your wiring and I will tell you what kind of problem you have, every build is different so there is not an example that can really help you
    Mactec54

Good electrical practice is hard to detail in a short post here. I’d suggest searching online for manuals from the electrical suppliers. Here is one that unfortunately isn’t machine controller specific: http://www.panduit.com/ccurl/88/656/...Part%203,0.pdf. This one might be better: https://asgmt.com/wp-content/uploads...2009/1/068.pdf

In any event how your electrical system is put together is very important. Good practices make a huge difference.

Most often caused by inadequate grounding and bonding of all power supply commons to a earth star ground point,
    Ensure all metallic parts of the machine bonded to ground, commonly known as equi-potential grounding.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.