584,812 active members*
5,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > Parameter and setting to decrease spindle spin up time?

Parameter and setting to decrease spindle spin up time?

I have a 2.2 kw HY VFD and 2.2kw 24,000 rpm water cooled spindle. I use PWM control via a PMDX 126/PMDX 107. I would like to reduce the time it takes to get the spindle up to the set speed. Currently, it takes just under 10 seconds to get from 0 to 16,000 rpm. I have a ramp up delay set in Mach4, so no problems when cutting. Is there a parameter I can set, and if so, what is the range of settings to safely use?

Thank you in advance.

Gary

Re: Parameter and setting to decrease spindle spin up time?

When all else fails, read the instruction manual.....or...……...Calling Mactec54...…..another customer for your expertise.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    I have a 2.2 kw HY VFD and 2.2kw 24,000 rpm water cooled spindle. I use PWM control via a PMDX 126/PMDX 107. I would like to reduce the time it takes to get the spindle up to the set speed. Currently, it takes just under 10 seconds to get from 0 to 16,000 rpm. I have a ramp up delay set in Mach4, so no problems when cutting. Is there a parameter I can set, and if so, what is the range of settings to safely use?

Thank you in advance.

Gary
    You can adjust these ( 2 ) Parameters the VFD Drive will fault if you go lower than what it can handle most can go as low as 3sec without any problems there are other Parameters we can look at if this does not help

PD014=3 ( Acceleration Adjust to suit) Fault may accrue if set to low

PD015=3 ( Deceleration Adjust to suit) Fault may accrue if set to low
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You can adjust these ( 2 ) Parameters the VFD Drive will fault if you go lower than what it can handle most can go as low as 3sec without any problems there are other Parameters we can look at if this does not help

Thank you, mactec54! I'll give it a whirl (pun intended) Sunday afternoon, when I return home. I'll try 3 seconds. and increase the time, if the VFD faults at 3. I report back on the results.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    When all else fails, read the instruction manual.....or...……...Calling Mactec54...…..another customer for your expertise.
    Ian.

Good advice, Ian, but for my fear of making a fatal (to the VFD, spindle or both) mistake. There is much written on how an incorrect setting can spell doom.

To your point, I still have my manual and did read it. Although it's written better than many Chinglish documents, I am nevertheless reluctant to trust what I think the manual is saying. In the case of PD014 and 015, one part of the manual says the set range is .1 to 6500 seconds (about 1.8 hours) and another place says it's .16 seconds to 500 seconds (8.3 minutes). Okay, which is it and does it matter? The manual also does not tell us that .16 seconds probably won't work in practice. Better to get the straight scoop from mactec54, the Zone's resident expert. (As an aside, who on earth would ever need a 1.8 hour ramp up? Even an 8 minute ramp up sounds crazy long for anything a 2.2 kw VFD would power).

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post

I changed the settings to 3 seconds and did a s23000 command. It took about 3 seconds to get to speed. No faults. I repeated several times. Worked like I hoped. :banana: Thanks again mactec54.

Interestingly, when I went to PD014 and 015, I found both were factory set at 10 seconds. Given the settings, no surprise that it has been taking 10 seconds to get to speed.

Gotta love the manuals. The manual says the factory setting is *. After read and rereading the section on times, it appears the * just refers to the discussion that follows the table. The discussion section just says Time 1 (PD014 and PD015) is set at the factory, "depending on the model." Sure clears things up (not).

Gary

I suppose that is a sensible way to allow for the general public to not go for broke with off the chart parameter settings...…..3 seconds to speed up and/or down is quite healthy I would think.....10 secs would be a bit tedious after a while.

I think too that a lot depends on the load...…..speeding up a motor quickly that is heavily loaded would put a big strain on the VFD as it attempted to pile on the amps to get the load moving......that parameter suddenly becomes very important.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    I suppose that is a sensible way to allow for the general public to not go for broke with off the chart parameter settings...…..3 seconds to speed up and/or down is quite healthy I would think.....10 secs would be a bit tedious after a while.

I think too that a lot depends on the load...…..speeding up a motor quickly that is heavily loaded would put a big strain on the VFD as it attempted to pile on the amps to get the load moving......that parameter suddenly becomes very important.
    Ian.
    Yes, Ian, very tedious after the 4 years or so I've been living with it.

I've avoided prematurely loading the spindle by setting a dwell or delay in Mach4. When I start the G code, the axes go to a default position and hold for the amount of delay I set. After the delay time, the rest of the code executes. Very handy. With the delay, I never have to worry about cutting under a load. Now it is set for 3 seconds, to match the improved ramp up time. I don't know other controller software, but if it doesn't have a dwell or delay feature, you are left editing post processors to insert a G4 command. If one uses multiple CAD/CAM programs, (I use Aspire and Fusion 360) each one would need to be edited. Alternatively, a G4 could be added to each G-code file. Talk about tedious . . . .

I'm happy with my healthy compromise. On to the next project.

Gary