585,975 active members*
4,589 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Router Speed Control + Mach3 + Breakout Board

Router Speed Control + Mach3 + Breakout Board

I recently got a C11 Breakout board and now I have got a new router.
    I would like to hook up through this board and use Mach3 to control it.
    The router is 240vAC and has a built-in speed control.
    Can you advise me if this board is o.k to drive this router through the 10A SSR that is built in to the breakout board.
    If so how do I wire it up ?
    Would I need to disable or modify the routers built in speed control ?

Hope you can help.

Don't know about your breakout board but if the router rated current rating is under 10A you should be fine. With an SSR the live of the router is broken by the switch (high voltage side of the ssr), the low voltage side is the control side, this is switched via mach.

I use a Dewalt variable speed router on my machine, the only way I can use the speed control via mach is to turn the speed dial via a stepper which for me is more hassle than it's worth. I did consider trying to build a speed controller for it but again too much for not enough gain. Bear in mind if you do it and you want spindle rpm below manufactureres minimum speed you could burn out the coils of the router as most routers rely on a fan on the spindle internaly, if it spins too slow the air flow is not enough to cool it sufficiently (Dewalt tech advised me on this).

Hope it helps!

Well I would like to be able to use Mach3's ability to turn on and off the router and possibly the speed. The 3 routers I have all have built in speed controls, or variable speed, if this is the same.
    The BBoard I have is here http://cnc4pc.com/Multifunction_CNC_Board.htm
    I was under the impression I could use the SSR to hook up the router without need for anything else ? How, well that's what I want to know because the wiring diagram offered is useless to me.
    I just want Mach 3 to turn it off when it's finished the job while I'm inside doing something else. Is it do-able or not.

Thanks.

Not the best wiring instructions I've seen!

Looks like as your ssr is on the circuit board you would connect live of your router to one of the terminal blocks next to the relay, the other terminal block would go to live supply (plug socket), neutral isn't switched so maintain plug to router cable if you get my drift.

One thing I did notice on the pic in your link is that the blue relay in the picture is rated 125VAC-you should check this on the print of the relay on your board. If your using a 240VAC router you may need to swap the relay for one with the correct rating. The control rating (Vdc should be the same) I'd contact the supplier/manufacturer about this and check, they may be able to send you one out-they aren't expensive!!

Wouldn't want you to damage your board- take care.

Just found a simple pic on the web to clarify what i think you have. Just look at the pic as a pictorial view and ignore the ratings on it. Receptacle would be your router.

Forgot to say it is perfectly doable with mach. I do it on my machine for router and extraction at start and end of a program. You just need to do the pin config in mach.

Hope this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fig3.gif  

I guess the manuf of the board can answer best as not having used this board but just looking at the PDF manual, I would have thought if the unit was manuf in Australia that the SSR would be 240v rated?
    If in doubt, you can always use the SSR to pick up a larger contactor/relay for higher currents or voltage's.
    It would appear you can possibly control the speed if your present controller is using a pot to control speed, the PDF shows a way of removing it and feeding the control from the BOB.
    But again, it would pay to get specifics from the manuf. support.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for the help guys.
    The board was made in the USA, so I'll check with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo745 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys.
    The board was made in the USA, so I'll check with him.
    You can turn the router on and off through mach (and others), but the analog speed control will only work with a real spindle and speed controller.
    Steve
    DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S WRONG!