584,802 active members*
4,870 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Need Help

Need Help

Looking for recommendations in regard to a Servo Driver for a 4-axis (X,Y,Z, and rotary) CNC router. The machine is an APE 200HD. It is about 15 years old, and I haven't been able to get feed-back from APE (Automated Precision Equipment). Basically, I need to overhaul the driver, as the daughter board is not capable of accepting the latest WinCnc upgrade. The machine has age-issues, with air lines and is probably no longer level (moved to new building five hears ago, and floor has settled. Except for the computer issues, I believe I can handle the rest.

Thanks!

Steve

Re: Need Help

Steve,

Your post is a bit confusing due to the nomenclature you are using. I think what you are looking for is a controller rather than a driver. I looked at both websites and it looks like the WinCnc has its own controller board. So I think you would want to upgrade the board to be compatible with the latest version of WinCnc, available from WinCnc. MicroSystems World CNC - PC Based CNC Controller - WinCNC CNC Software - CNC Controller Software - WinCNC - CNC Motion Control - "Pricing"

On the other hand, if the machine is working, then I would not upgrade unless there is some really good reason to do so.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Okay, thanks. The Servo controller has "Servo Drive" printed on the front housing, so that's where I got the inaccurate nomenclature! I'm wondering if this controller is upgradable! Sure wish APE would get back with me! Frustrating!

In regard to wanting to upgrade, I've been having issues with the machine "losing its way" when running some projects. I've broken a few bits and ruined some material when it "got lost!" I am hoping that an upgrade to use the latest software my fix some of these issues. Obviously I'm fairly new to this stuff. I've had some coaching from Mike Queen at WinCnc (very helpful) and the rest I've had to learn from tutorials or youtube videos! Considering that, I've made a lot of progress in the past couple years I've been using the machine.

Thanks again Jim!

My pleasure to help out.

Given the problems you are having, it sounds like there may be some encoder issues. At least I think there are encoders on the axes, not 100% sure about that.

Since you are comfortable with WinCnc, it looks like they sell everything you would need to do a full upgrade, including new servo motors & drives. That might be the easiest way to get your machine back in top notch working order.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA